Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Plugging a usb stick in shuts down my laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any ideas how to solve this?

Its only my new stick (8GB) that does it.... And it happens with every port. Plug it in and my laptop turns off. And then won't turn on till I've taken it out, and I have to switch it between charging and not charging for it to turn on again.

Erghh, so I now have a useless 8GB stick.

Comments

• Options
    Is the memory stick a cheap rip off?
    Does the memory stick work in other computers?

USB devices are supposed to draw 2.5 watts of power, any more than that due to a fault with the device and the computer will shut down and it sounds like this is what's happening with you, especially as the computer won't turn on again until the device is removed.
  • Options
    Ahhh thanks for that... :)

Stick was from PC World and wasn't that cheap... unless it was an expensive rip off :(

And will try it in another computer when I get a chance!
  • Options
    I am assuming you plug the device in AFTER the computer is turned on, its just a thought but I had this problem as my bios read USB devices before HDD which ment it kept trying to boot from the usb device and thus crashing, however this does sound different.
  • Options
    Given that it only happens with your 8GB, I think PCW have given you a duff stick. Take it back with your receipt to have it exchanged. The warranty should be a year.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Take it back with your receipt to have it exchanged.

That might be a problem :p *Lesson learned*
  • Options
    PCW will generally replace without a receipt.
  • Options
    Try taking it back anyway, maybe take in a bank statement if you bought it on a card. If not, I'd still try taking it back.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks guys :)
  • Options
    That might be a problem :p *Lesson learned*

Getting cheeky huh? :-D I just put 'receipt' into spellchecker and it came out correct.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Getting cheeky huh? :-D I just put 'receipt' into spellchecker and it came out correct.

Haha no not at all :p Just highlighting that it was the receipt bit I'd have a problem with :)