Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

GCSE Certificates.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get my GCSE certificates from?
When I left school I never received proper certificates.
All I got were some A5 slips of paper from the exam boards which have my scores and grades on for each exam.
And on them in the corner they say "This is not a certificate." So since I never received actual certificates in the first place which I think I am entitled to, I begrudge having to pay for new ones.

I took the exams in 2006 and have never needed the certs until now as I wish to join the Royal Navy.

Anyone any ideas?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get in touch with your school. If you left after your GCSEs rather than staying for 6th form then your school wouldn't have received them until after you left. Usually they ask you to go and collect them at some point, so if you never did then you may be lucky and they still have them on file for you.
    I think I got mine sent to me in the post shortly after but contact your school as they should have them
    Contact the exam boards?
    I have contacted the school and they said they have destroyed all my records.
    So thats bye bye to any certificates.
    I cant get them now.

I have to get copies of statements from the exam boards at £30 each!

These are apparently as good as the certificates and if the Navy requires they will write to them informing them of my results (which I will also have to fork out for.)
    This has really wound me up because the school made no attempt to get the certificates to me and never informed me that they had them.
    To be fair they do churn out a few pupils each and every year. You are only one pupil. Did you not think to ask the school and pester them?

I had to do the same thing for my results certificate, as they were lost due to an ex partner. However Im glad I did, and you will be glad you did if you get yourself in the forces :)
    I never got mine either :( It's a small price to pay for the career you want though.
    MrG wrote: »
    To be fair they do churn out a few pupils each and every year. You are only one pupil. Did you not think to ask the school and pester them?

I had to do the same thing for my results certificate, as they were lost due to an ex partner. However Im glad I did, and you will be glad you did if you get yourself in the forces :)

Oh have you been/are you in the forces?

I still have the statements issued by the exam boards when I first got them. Just not proper certificates. Im told they cannot be reproduced and they will just provide statements like what I already have and that these are proof enough.
    katralla wrote: »
    I never got mine either :( It's a small price to pay for the career you want though.

Yes it is but that a lot of money for some paper.
    Theyre taking advantage of the situation.
    Ok I have contacted my school and they have discarded my certificates without even notifying me they had them.
    The exam boards wont give me a duplicate certificate, only a statement of results.
    this is no good to me.
    The job I wish to do in the Navy requires certificates not statements and without the certs I dont get the job.
    Is there anything I can do i.e. appeal to have certificates reproduced?
    This is quite weird, as I left school in 2004 and I needed copies of my certs not so long ago, anyway My Highschool gave them to me straight away, they had duplicate on but no charges or anything
    i needed ertificates for something a while back, and i got them from the exam board
    My school made us write an envelope with our address and give them £1. Then when they received the certificates they posted them out to us, recorded delivery. Guess that was nice of them and lucky.

I don't know how you'd get yours though. That wasn't good of your school.
    Mylo_B wrote: »
    Ok I have contacted my school and they have discarded my certificates without even notifying me they had them.
    The exam boards wont give me a duplicate certificate, only a statement of results.
    this is no good to me.
    The job I wish to do in the Navy requires certificates not statements and without the certs I dont get the job.
    Is there anything I can do i.e. appeal to have certificates reproduced?

Just remember that you are only 1 of many people that the schools deal with. They wont have done this deliberately against you.

Pay for the duplicate certificates if the navy is what you really want.

You cant appeal to have certificates reproduced, they will just turn around and say you should have chased them up, if you really want the navy, pay for the reproductions. Who knows what other jobs you may need them for in the future.
    If you can't get duplicate certificates then talk to the Navy recruiting people, because I'm pretty sure they accept whatever the version of replacement certificates is that the exam boards supply.
    Hi,
    I finished school in 2005 and never had any certificates, I enrolled in college but was told that if I didn't have certificates then as far as they were concerned I don't h e the qualifications though I was able to complete the course. When I decided to join the armed forces they asked for my certificates and I explained I never had them, they said that if I had a letter from the exam board saying what I sat and what grades I got they would accept this letter, provided it was official and could be verified by them, the exam board agreed to send me the letter at a cost of 25 per grade stated. After extensive research I found that the schools keep your certificates for 10 years so its very likely that they do still have them or have returned them to the education board. Call them and they should be able to tell you where your certificates are, but they will only give the information to you due to data protection so it's likely you will have to collect the certificates in person and present some ID. good luck and I hope this helps.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey stokechick,
    Cheers for posting :) This thread is from 2010 though so it's unlikely the original poster is still following the thread. Going to close this now, but do go ahead and get involved in other more recent discussions, or start one of your own. :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.