Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'people never notice anything'..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
aw crap- the title wasnt a dig. it is just one of my favourite lines from catcher in the rye.

jd salinger has died :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8486169.stm

also from catcher in the rye:
What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.

i think this is the effect he achieved through the character of holden. holden is just amazing.

loved franny and zooey too

Comments

• Options
    Sad to hear he'd died. I wonder if this will mean his unpublished works will be released.

I know there are these knocking around - http://www.deadcaulfields.com/Unpublished.html - but I've seen people suggest up to 15 full manuscripts he was saving until he wouldn't have to answer questions about them...

You know in the early 50s he was going to do a stage adaptation of Catcher and play Holden himself.

Seriously though, no Salinger, Dick, Burroughs, Thompson, Ballard... I'm running out of writers to look forward to new works from
  • Options
    i know, i feel terrible because what came to mind was that i bet they are finally gonna make a catcher in the rye film now. i might ditch ulysses for now and try get my hands on raise high the roof beam, carpenters and seymour. im dying to know about seymour now from franny and zooey.
  • Options
    I'm committed to Being and Nothingness right now, but once I'm through that I might did out some of his stuff I never got round to reading :)
  • Options
    me too :)

we should all have a salinger read off in memory of him
  • Options
    Studying Catcher at school killed it for me :(
    But I loved it the first time I read it.
  • Options
    I like 9 stories, I love bananafish. What I like even more is his biography. What an interesting fella.