Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

See my GP or not?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
All my life I've had this kind of fear within me - it never really bothered me except when I was alone, and even then I didn't worry about it. I self-harmed for a while (18 months, on and off) but I've moved on from that. However, cutting used to calm me down and stop me being scared ... until the next day when I had to hide the cuts, but that's besides the point. I also played with smoking for a while - about a month - but I kinda got bored of that. I was never addicted, but it used to calm me down much like cutting did. Of course there was the problem of my parents finding out, which increased my fear in the long-term.

But I've stopped smoking (New Year's resolution) and now the fear has grown until I felt like I couldn't deal with college this afternoon and almost signed out. I didn't, but I felt so terrified as though something bad had just happened, or was just about to happen. I almost wanted to break down and cry in the middle of the classroom because I was so scared. Again, I didn't, and I carried on with the day and everything was okay.

It seems almost constant though - whenever I'm not fully engaged in doing something, like hard work or watching a good TV program, I can't stop being scared. Even now, typing this, my heart is racing and there's a tension in my chest, and fear coursing through me.

I don't know whether this is something that can be treated, or whether it's just something I'm going to have to live with. I've contemplated seeing my GP, and I could probably do this without my parents knowing (I just can't be bothered to involve people in this) but I don't know whether he'd say that there was nothing he could do about it, fill me up with pills or make me see a counsellor, which I really don't have time for at the moment.

And sometimes I get worried about feeling scared, which gives rise to being scared and then I'm scared of being scared and - jeez it's all a bit crazy. Has anyone got any advice?

Eve
xxx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, giving you pills of referring you to a councellor is pretty much exactly what the doctor would do, if deemed necessary. There's no miracle cure for these things, so I'm not sure I understand what you would want from your GP, even though I would recommend going.
    I don't know what I would want...or even what I expect...I'm just worried that pills would mess with my head and interfere with my college work. But being scared all the time does that as well. I guess I want there to be a 'miracle cure', but now you say it ... I can't imagine what it would be. What would medication do to me?

Eve
    xxx
    hey, I don't know what medication would do but i guess its worth a try? if it doesnt work you could go back and try something else.
    it sounds like its affecting your everyday life so surely trying something is better than doing nothing, although I know going to the GP is a big step