Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Degree classifications

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey, well im sure theres a thread about this going way back so i thought i would just start a fresher one :)

Anyway, i'll hopefully be graduating next year. I'm doing Computer Science which ive found pretty tough going at times. Anyway, alot of people here are fussing over what they get and if they got a 2:2 they'd be really disappointed/cry/be all depressed :rolleyes:

Personally if i got a 2:1 i would be delighted! I've found it a really tough course and even if i got a 2:2 i would still be pleased with it.

Anyway, to my point. To those of you who have graduated, whenever that was, has the actual degree classification you gained made any difference what so ever in getting the job/getting the career you want?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Not a sausage.

But I do work in a skills-based role. No one really cares about any of my qualifications as long as I can do my job.
  • Options
    In a word, no! If you get a 2.1 plus, then most things are open to you, if you get a 2.2 then you still also have a lot of grad careers open to you. A lot of the time it is also practical experience that matters, especially in this climate when you might be competing against people with degrees who have recently changed careers so have the qualification and a lot of on the job experience.
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    In a word, no! If you get a 2.1 plus, then most things are open to you, if you get a 2.2 then you still also have a lot of grad careers open to you. A lot of the time it is also practical experience that matters, especially in this climate when you might be competing against people with degrees who have recently changed careers so have the qualification and a lot of on the job experience.

Yeah thats one thing im banking on. Luckily i worked for a really well known/good company on my placement year so that has certainly helped beef up my CV.
  • Options
    my degree classifcation didnt make any difference at all.
    Forget about it and look at getting work experience, thats what I found mattered.
  • Options
    Guys this has really set my mind at rest, im headed for a 2.2 but want a 2.1 :) thanks. Although I am looking at technical-ish careers so they can be a bit stingy about academic record :/
  • Options
    I needed a 2:1 in 2nd year to get my placement/sandwich year. I think I needed a 2:1 for my PhD, although that might have been negotiable. I would think the class matters more for academia though.
  • Options
    i only got a 2:2. i studied law.

i am working for the police now. you don't even need a degree for it. its all about life experience and your attitude towards things.

if i wanted to use my degree to become a solicitor mind, i would probably need a 2:1. although saying that, my friend has just bagged herself a training contract and she only got a 2:2 like me.

everyone has a degree nowadays so i don't think it really matters what you get unless you are wanting to work for a big firm. employers are more interested in what you've done previously and what experience you have.
  • Options
    My degree classification really matters to me, and I'm absolutely positive it will make a difference to my future- I want to do a masters then phd.
  • Options
    I graduated in Computing for Medical and Health Sciences in July. I found that there few graduate schemes that accepted a classification below a 2.1, I'm not sure why many have found it doesn't matter. I guess that may be the case in industries outside of this one or perhaps entering an area of work that doesn't relate to the area of study?

I did find that the classification was just a tick box for the graduate schemes though. If you tick this box you then have to meet all of their criteria. I got through to the final phase of the scheme for Accenture for example but was refused because of my inability to prioritize information. I wasn't so disappointed because speaking to the other applicants they all had 3 years experience on me where as I was fresh out of uni.

I'd say push for a first and then if you don't achieve it the worst that happens is you get a 2.1- oh and get relevant work experience during the summer.

Steve
  • Options
    I wouldn't have got my job without a 2:1. It was a condition of employment. I even had to show my degree certificate to prove it.
  • Options
    It makes a massive difference if you actually want to enter the graduate job market. Those who knew they were going to get a 1st had a job before they'd even sat their exams, when they got their results they got better jobs. Everyone with a 2.1 was snapped up as soon as they got their results. 2.2s... are now all doing masters to try to get jobs. Many competative industries like banking, finance, accounting etc won't look at you with a 2.2, even if you have a masters on top of that.

You really need to put all the effort you can into getting the best mark possible. It's 3 years that may well determine the rest of your life, don't waste them. After 3 years you don't want to cut your options short just so that you could go to the pub a few more times a week.
  • Options
    Don't forget the scholarships, I know my uni offers scholarships each term if you're on track for a first. And others are more likely to give you a funded place on masters or phd course with a first, it's worth chasing, even as a student let alone in the job market.
  • Options
    My job probably wouldn't have interviewed me if I had a 2:1, unless I had loads of relevant experience in the industry

However it's not the be all and end all, and I know a few people who got 2:2's but have ended up in their dream job.

They actually put me on the 2:2 board on results day at uni, I always remember it. I had been getting high averages so knew I was comfortably at top end of a 2:1, so it totally freaked me out when I saw the board.
    It wasn't until the next day when my friends said it seemed wrong that I went back and the tutors realised it was a mistake....
  • Options
    Been looking for jobs and can't find a single one that doesn't stipulate minimum 2.1. Sigh.
  • Options
    I did get a 2:1 but it's made no difference to me.

In fact, oddly, the thing I remember was trying to apply for some graduate programme and being turned down not because of my degree but because I had too few A-Level points. I did protest about how irrelevant they were, but it made no difference. I wasn't getting onto that programme. Can't remember who it was for though. One of the big IT companies I expect. Weird.

Back in the real world, I think outside of graduate programmes noone really gives a stuff. In the world of IT experience counts for a lot more than your classification.
  • Options
    Yea, not sure I want into IT though. Who knows. At this stage any job would do, else I'm actually going to be homeless come summer! Yay :/
  • Options
    I didn't even finish my degree... As Mist said, apart from graduate programmes it doesn't seem to matter too much. Extra curiculur activities count for a lot, as does experience.

I think it's just getting into whatever sector you want that's often hard - once you get that first job, degrees and clasifications become less relevent. Most people I work with do have degrees, but they're not thought of any more highly than me.

Bit OT i know, but my point is that it's not all about degrees and classifications all the time, having extra/interesting things on your CV helps too.
  • Options
    I've got tonnes of other stuff on my CV. But the thing is, it makes me wonder what the point of a degree is if it's not going to give you a leg up anyway.

I guess it's a nice talking point.
  • Options
    I spoke to the HR department for an accounting practice today. It seems my degree is not for naught!

If I had left school at gcse / a level, I would have to do AAT, then ACA. Because I have a degree, they would take me straight into ACA. My degree is accredited, but they said they choose not to 'honour' the accreditation because they don't believe you have enough work experience exposure to really understand teh concepts as covered in the pure degree.

They said a min 2.2 really but would look at your whole CV. Also said that training contracts are pretty competitive anyway and thin on the ground. Gave me some good pointers though!
  • Options
    Cool. It's not for nothing anyway, I'm sure you learned a lot during your degree too, both academically and about yourself and the world.
  • Options
    Yea definitely. Just annoying about this arbitrary 2.1 thing. I should have had a 2.1 too. Just one too many fuckups. Only got myself to blame for that really though.
  • Options
    I imagine a 2:2 with other things on your CV too will look just as good as someone with a 2:1 and nothing else.
    A lot of jobs will stipulate a 2:1 at least but doesn't mean they're going to stick to that and not even consider someone with a 2:2.
  • Options
    I got an ordinary, I am without honour...

I did a masters afterwards, but a few years afterwards and paid for it myself.

I think the most immediate effect of a classification is definately related to academic progression and finding scholarships. Certainly when I did my Masters those people looked at to do phd were those doing exceptionally well, I'm sure the same applies with the transition from a degree to a masters.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote: »
    I imagine a 2:2 with other things on your CV too will look just as good as someone with a 2:1 and nothing else.
    A lot of jobs will stipulate a 2:1 at least but doesn't mean they're going to stick to that and not even consider someone with a 2:2.

Part of the problem is now with online application forms, they can just say 'university grade' and if you dont tick 2.1 or first you get an automatic email saying you dont meet the criteria. :/