Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How old?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys!
I was just wondering how old everyone was when they decided what job they wanted, and did you actually go into that job?
There isn't really a reason for asking this, I'm just curious. I had PSVE today and we were talking about work ect. and every one, apart from me, has already decided what they've gonna be. I know the GSCEs I'm going to take, but not what to be. So, did anyone actually go into the job they wanted in their teens? :chin:
Xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didn't have a clue...I didn't even know what GCSE's to take until a couple of months before choosing them.

When I left school I did want to do teaching, then left 6th form after a month and started health studies at college and deiceded to be a nurse...no one believed I would ever do it. I qualified as a nurse last May and I'm still deciding what it is I want to be...I don't think nursing is my career forever. I'll probably end up back at uni at some point and do something else!
    I have never had a job; but have never (and still don't) have an idea what I want to do.
    I'm at uni studying film and have no idea what I want to do after! I could go into the film business if i happen upon an oppurtunity, or go in a completely different direction. I just took film cos I enjoy it and find it interesting and am just going to wait and see what happens
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I always knew I wanted to be a teacher. And now I am one. Very few people do what they say they will do in primary school, though. So don't worry too much.
    Always wanted to join a uniformed service, either the military or the police.
    im 33 and i still dont know what i want to be when i grow up
    14 - I am now doing it and have been for gulp the last 10 years or so ( i feel so old)...
    I went from everything from a hair stylist to a lawyer. I took my first university class in 2001 and have been changing my mind ever since then. Right now I'm thinking teacher but I've got anohter year of school before I graduate with that degree so plenty of time to change my mind again ;)

After 10 years of working the only thing I know for sure is that whatever career I end in, it wont be a retail job or anything in an office!!

They made us do some silly what I want to do lesson in a social studies class when I was probably not much older than you and it was just silly, nobody except the farmers who would continue the family business knew what they wanted to do and I doubt many of them are in jobs that they chose back then.
    Well, at least I'm not the only one who didn't decide in high school!! I've thought of being a criminal profiler but oohhhh it's a lot of hard work haha
    Xx
    Well, at least I'm not the only one who didn't decide in high school!! I've thought of being a criminal profiler but oohhhh it's a lot of hard work haha
    Xx

Hey don't worry about it. Most people on my course at uni have no idea what job they want to do after their degree! I used to think I knew exactly what I wanted to do since I was 16, but now I'm half way through my degree and I am starting to look at other job options...problem is there is far too much choice!

Only thing I would suggest is that as you will be eventually working most of your adult life, make the most of opportunities to try new things and get work experience before you settle on what career you want.
    I think I was 15 or 16 when I first found a job I might be interested in. I however soon realised it wasn't an easy field to get into so I pretty much forgot it and remembered once in a while.

I'm now doing that job and how I got into it was pretty much sheer luck. Oh, and a lot of really really hard work. I was headed into a totally different direction when I applied for that job and dropped uni to pursue it.

I enjoy my job, it's a challenge but whether I want to do it for the rest of my working life I'm not sure.
    Im 23 and in my final year at Uni and i still dont really know what i wanna do. Annoying.
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Im 23 and in my final year at Uni and i still dont really know what i wanna do. Annoying.
    This. Except I'm 21, not 23. My ideas change constantly.
    my ideas are always changing...i've always envied the kid that was like, born a doctor.

for some reason, i wanted to be a slurry tanker driver..then a doctor..at the moment, i wanna do modern languages at uni then see where that takes me..i think that's the one that's gonna stick.
    13 when i first saw gordon ramsey on itv, 12 years later im not doin that anymore :p
    When I left school, I wanted to work as a Customs Officer at the ports/airports. I haven't ended up doing that at all.

For some people there is a very clear plan of the sort of job they want in the future. For others it's possible to fall into a career later in life - I was 22 when I fell into mine.

What that says to me is that it's one thing to have a planned career but you should always be prepared to change it as time and circumstance dictates.
    Thinking back, yeah I wanted to be a pathologist...inspired by the likes of Silent Witness etc, turns out firstly was never gonna be good enough for med school, and I'll be at least 30 before I qualify! Left that idea for dead.

At the start of my degree I changed to pharmacologist, that's stuck. I know where your coming from; as you get older your perceptions and ideals change. As long as you stick to a general area then there's still alot of flexibility in terms of career choice anyway.

Us ambitious folk *tut* can never settle :chin:
    I pretty much had grand ideas of what I wanted to do, and general ideas which flitted around and couldnt be pinned down, or many years.

What im doing now, I only decided upon about 2 years ago, been in it a year and a half, and loving it, dont want to leave.
    im 33 and i still dont know what i want to be when i grow up

Most of the successful / happy in life / older + life experienced people I know say basically this :). My brother who has done quite well as an entrepreneur says that he never really planned to become one it just happened because he found what he was doing interesting, and that realistically if he wanted to do something else it would only take 6 months or so of hard graft to get into it in some level - so that really at any age there aren't barriers to changing career direction as long as you are motivated.

I think these days increasingly so 'careers' aren't like they used to be. Just the other day I heard of someone with a chemistry degree, who joined a pharmacology company making drugs and all that, but found the legal side of it interesting so went into drug patents and then set up his own patent office! Writing legal stuff is a big distance away from mixing up some drugs but there we go.

I think these days its much more about seizing good opportunities as they come to you.