Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

3rd Year Accommodation Advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all, this is my first post here. So far I have found the site to be useful for all sorts of things but I could really do with some advice on where to live for my 3rd year of uni.

Bit of background info:
1st Year I lived with 6 people, 3 of which I really got on with but we all went our seperate ways (though still stay in touch) and moved in with different people in 2nd year.

Its now half way through 2nd Year and I am living with 3 random people in a city centre flat. Get on well enough, but next year 1 is moving back home, 1 is moving in with her bf and the last one (who I don't really get on with) is going somewhere else with her uni friends.

My flat is in a great location and I would like to live here again for my 3rd year of my course, but am unsure if I want to risk living with 3 strangers for the 3rd year in a row? Especially as my 3rd year is so important.

Add to this I am also worried about affording the rent again- I would have to pay £1000 by july this year out of my own pocket, which I dont have.

I do have a part time job but due to cutbacks on hours and pay by management I only earn £100-£150 a month now.

So with the house hunting season starting again I need to decide soon if I want to stay in my current flat and risk living with 3 strangers...

...or I could move back home and comute to uni 3 or 4 days a week (would only take an hour or so to get to uni, unless I have to travel in rush hour). I also hate commuting on public transport.

Add to this I don't know anyone who I could move in with next year- most my friends are staying where they are now and while I get on well with people on my course I seemed to have only made friends so far with people who I really wouldn't like to live with.

So anyone got any ideas? I'm going to have a talk with my parents this weekend and see what they think too.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Does your uni have senior residents or wardens or similar in halls? That would be one option.
  • Options
    Hmm, living with all new people is a risk, but if you're clear about the sort of person you want to live with when you advertise, you might be ok. E.g. If you say you'd prefer to live with third years, it won't be a party flat, you want to have fun but at the same time it's an important year. Or whatever!

But if you're worried about that AND unsure about affording it, maybe look for somewhere else, or move back home? There will be plenty of people needing an extra person, but again that means living with new people. Again, if you're clear about what you're looking for, it should be fine!

Personally, I think I'd try not to have to move back home - an hour's not THAT far away, but it might seem it if you;re backwards and forwards all the time, or if you need to get in early, or if you want to stay late at the library or something.

Maybe start having a look at what is around, go and see a few places and if you really can't find anywhere, then consider moving home.
  • Options
    Does your uni have senior residents or wardens or similar in halls? That would be one option.

Not for the flats I'm currently living in sadly.
    Kat_B wrote: »
    Hmm, living with all new people is a risk, but if you're clear about the sort of person you want to live with when you advertise, you might be ok. E.g. If you say you'd prefer to live with third years, it won't be a party flat, you want to have fun but at the same time it's an important year. Or whatever!

Maybe start having a look at what is around, go and see a few places and if you really can't find anywhere, then consider moving home.

This seems good advice. The flat I am in is a complex managed by unipol and they advertise the flats themselves so dont think I can specify living with 3rd years only.

But I have started looking around at some cheaper houses, slightly out of the city centre and already found some advertising for 1 or more new house mates for july. If I did this at least I would get a chance to meet who I could live with so thats another option I have to consider now.

Oh and my parents have said they should be able to help me afford my first rent in july (I can pay them back in august).

Ah house hunting, sometimes it feels like fun, otherwise its just a headache haha!
  • Options
    Update time:

Well I met up with some other like-minded people over the online student notice boards. Been to see a few houses and have found one now outside the city centre but much more affordable than the rent I'm paying now.

Overall quite happy how this worked out, tho I will be sad to leave my current flat in july as I will have lived here almost 2 years :crying:

Just goes to show that you don't have to stress over finding a house/ new housemates I guess :D