Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Alcohol - it's no joke

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Have any of you guys seen this campaign?

Would be great to hear your thoughts on some of the vids - some hefty names behind it, do you think they make a positive impact?

http://www.itsnojoke.tv/

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They are pretty good, and its certainly the right message but I fear it wont make a great deal of difference. I was drinking excessively at that age and like most teens I thought I was so clever and nothing bad was ever going to happen to me. Its a strange age where you are totally up your own arse and completely insecure all at the same time.

I think a total ban on alcohol advertising, a minimum price per unit and better enforcement of age restrictions are the way forward, but I certainly hope this does change some attitudes.
    budda wrote: »

I think a total ban on alcohol advertising, a minimum price per unit and better enforcement of age restrictions are the way forward, but I certainly hope this does change some attitudes.

Ban this ban that ...a war on this and a war on that.
    The state should not be interfering.
    Why should I pay more for my booze cos some twat can't handle his/her alcohol?
    I'm not for you or anyone else penalising me for the behaviour of others.
    Surely education is what it's about?
    Thats what you say regarding other drugs.
    If anyone is truly bothered, they will brew there own.. who gives a fuck, we cant do nowt! we all die anyway
    The idea of taxing people into good behaviour is ridiculous.
    the idea of taxing people is ridiculous
    Anyone find car crashes and people getting glassed funny?
    There are only 2 things that are certain in life. Death and taxes. The irony is that it bears 100% relevance to this thread!
    nothing holds significance, nothing holds relevance... the only thing i can see is her elegance!

name the tune!
    Whats a bottle of cheap strong cider cost ...two and a half quid?
    If it costs three and a half ...it will achieve what?
    Tax is not the answer ...in fact it's a fucking dumb idea but not a bad way of ...raising revenue.
    what shall we do about it?
    what shall we do about it?

Scream very loudly at your political servants?
    thats nearly everyone i can think of...
    Ban this ban that ...a war on this and a war on that.
    The state should not be interfering.
    Why should I pay more for my booze cos some twat can't handle his/her alcohol?
    I'm not for you or anyone else penalising me for the behaviour of others.
    Surely education is what it's about?
    Thats what you say regarding other drugs.

Why should we allow advertising for a product that kills and harms thousands of people a year? (I'd ban advertising on gambling and drugs (if legal) as well)

Minimum unit pricing wouldn't affect the overwhelming majority of drinkers, its focus is on those whose aim is to intoxicate themselves for the lowest price - i.e. the problem drinkers.
    The problem drinkers in the city centres come the weekend are usually drinking good quality booze ...not cut price supermarket cider.
    What the hell is ...minimum unit pricing?

Ban advertising by all means but I don't think that will change much either.
    budda wrote: »
    i.e. the problem drinkers.

Pubs and nightclubs charge far more than the proposed 50p a unit. The minimum price idea will have an effect on kids binging on cider but if a 14 unit bottle of White Lightning is put up to £7 then they are going to buy a bag of speed or pills instead.
    I think that the best way to stop binge drinking is to raise the legal age to 21. hopefully by early 20's most people have grown out of the rebelious stage. It wont stop the hard core drinkers but i believe it would cut down on binging.
    I think that the best way to stop binge drinking is to raise the legal age to 21. hopefully by early 20's most people have grown out of the rebelious stage. It wont stop the hard core drinkers but i believe it would cut down on binging.

Not sure about that Morph ...some of these idiots are in their late thirties from what I can see.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Pubs and nightclubs charge far more than the proposed 50p a unit. The minimum price idea will have an effect on kids binging on cider but if a 14 unit bottle of White Lightning is put up to £7 then they are going to buy a bag of speed or pills instead.

Seven quid!!!!!!!
    So what's a bottle of wine going to cost me ...or four cans of beer?
    Most of the revenue raised will come out of the pockets of people like me and will go where I wonder.
    Your probably right about the drugs.
    Not sure about that Morph ...some of these idiots are in their late thirties from what I can see.

True, but a hell of a lot are below 21. plus it would be more difficult for under 18's to get alcohol which is the age where more damage can be done by alcohol.

I fully agree that there is no quick fix and i truely believe that we should do away with all drug related laws all together and let people who want to, destroy themselves.

Bring back natural selection, survival of the fittest or in this case, survival of the common sense!
    True, but a hell of a lot are below 21. plus it would be more difficult for under 18's to get alcohol which is the age where more damage can be done by alcohol.

I fully agree that there is no quick fix and i truely believe that we should do away with all drug related laws all together and let people who want to, destroy themselves.

Bring back natural selection, survival of the fittest or in this case, survival of the common sense!

:crazyeyes :D

At least with drugs you don't wreck town centers or make a complete twat of yourself or fall under trains and stuff and ...most drug takers come to no harm in the long term.
    fukit-1.jpg

Why on earth do you think that would make any difference? The problem they're trying to tackle is under-age binge drinking. Raising the legal age to 21 would simply create more "under-age" drinkers! You would have the ridiculous situation that exists in the US where you can vote at 18, get married at 18, fight and die for your country at 18 ... but get 300 hours community service and a hefty fine (in Texas anyway) for being caught with a beer at a mate's private birthday party a week shy of 21.

The sad thing is that this is essentially a UK problem. Not that other nationalities don't have teenage binge drinkers too, but not nearly to the same extent. There is something deeply wrong with the way we are bringing kids up these days. Raising the price of alcohol, banning advertising or raising the minimum age for drinking wont stop bored teenagers going out on the piss for want of something better to do.
    Bl**dy hell! I just looked at the government website concerning Alcohol Education for kids. I had no idea that our schools start "educating" our kids about alcohol at 7 years old. No f*'ing wonder we have a problem!!!! As I remember it, as soon as you tell a kid that something is bad for them, it makes them all the more curious to find out why.
    Why on earth do you think that would make any difference? The problem they're trying to tackle is under-age binge drinking. Raising the legal age to 21 would simply create more "under-age" drinkers! You would have the ridiculous situation that exists in the US where you can vote at 18, get married at 18, fight and die for your country at 18 ... but get 300 hours community service and a hefty fine (in Texas anyway) for being caught with a beer at a mate's private birthday party a week shy of 21.

The sad thing is that this is essentially a UK problem. Not that other nationalities don't have teenage binge drinkers too, but not nearly to the same extent. There is something deeply wrong with the way we are bringing kids up these days. Raising the price of alcohol, banning advertising or raising the minimum age for drinking wont stop bored teenagers going out on the piss for want of something better to do.

It wouldn't stop "underage" drinking as such but it would make it more difficult for under 18's to get hold of alcohol. if you are a 17 year old, you are more likely to be ID'd if the age limit is 21 than 18.

We already have that problem in the UK. I joined the army at 16 and 9 months, within a week i was handed an SA80 and taught how to use it and yet it was another year and 3 months before i had the right to decide who was in government. there are more examples (having children vs marriage etc) but i cant be assed to go into it.
    Morph ...do you mind me asking why your on morphine?
    If not ...why you on morphine:cool:

If you do mind ...you can tell me to stop being such a nosey get ...I'll get over it.

Look I'm over it already:D
    I got many many disabilities.... many of them painfull and most of them fatal ;)

I'm pretty sure i made a half assed attempt at listing some of them in my introduction thread.

So to re-cap.... because i'm a cripple i get all the morphine i can take, a free brand new car every three years (with everything paid for apart from fuel) a pretty cool carer who comes round now and then and brings me home made chocolate muffins and to top it off, if i go to a theme park i can get a ticket which gets me to the front of the lines for the rides.

Who says disabilities are a bad thing???
    I got many many disabilities.... many of them painfull and most of them fatal ;)

I'm pretty sure i made a half assed attempt at listing some of them in my introduction thread.

So to re-cap.... because i'm a cripple i get all the morphine i can take, a free brand new car every three years (with everything paid for apart from fuel) a pretty cool carer who comes round now and then and brings me home made chocolate muffins and to top it off, if i go to a theme park i can get a ticket which gets me to the front of the lines for the rides.

Who says disabilities are a bad thing???

You sound very positive Morph ...all power to you.
    Do you take any recreational?
    yeah, pretty much anything i can get but all in moderation.

i've also been known to serve up on occasions but i guess thats better left without more details.

i've also been known to serve up on occasions but i guess thats better left without more details.

Me too ...in large quantities ...done time for it.