Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Preparing dough in advance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm making char sui buns for a dinner party tomorrow and i'm trying to get as many things prepared/half cooked as possible so things will go as smoothly as possible with the least amount of blood sweat and tears from me.

Anyways, my question...is there any way i can make the dough in advance? It needs to be left to rise three times - once just the flour and yeast, once after i've added the sugar and shortening and once after they've been filled. So if it is possible to make it in advance should it be after the sugar is added but before the rise (or after) or should it be after they've been filled before the rise (or after)?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never heard of these so i've just looked them up and can't see any recipe with 3 rises in it.

A few points that stick out.

If you're adding sugar to risen dough how is it going to dissolve into the dough ?

Same for the fat

If you mix yeast and flour with nothing for the yeast to feed on, i'd assume it'd eat the gluten. If that happens they won't rise.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    By chilling the dough you slow the rate at which it rises - unfortunately the exact amount is something you'll need to work out by trial and error - but I'd guess you'd be able to fill them the day before, then chill them.

Unfortunately this isn't going to help you in time for this dinner party.