Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Terrorist threat level upgraded- I'm scared shitless

Not...

Seriously, what a load of fucking bollocks it is. If they had information pointing to a forthcoming attack, the last thing they'd want to do is go public with it, since the bombers would immediately know they're being watched.

Bullshit designed to strike fear into the masses :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8476238.stm
    I take it you read this!
    What I want to know.. is what comes above severe? "We all going to die?"
    Xx
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8476238.stm
    I take it you read this!
    What I want to know.. is what comes above severe? "We all going to die?"
    Xx

"Run for the hills", presumably :D
    Aladdin wrote: »
    "Run for the hills", presumably :D

Oh, no no no, there might be a terroist waiting there. haha XD
    Xx
    my apathy level has gone from critical to approaching infinity.
    zomgZORZ, I better not leave my house. There could be a terrorist in my garden!!!1111one
    The next level is imminent is it not?

The thing about anti terrorism, you only ever hear about it if something isnt stopped, or something goes wrong. You hear about sucesses rarely if ever.
    With anti terrorism measures, they often inconvenience people. As the threat level is raised or lowered, prevention/security measures in certain places are raised and lowered accordingly. The whole idea behind the threat level is that if the threat level is lower, you dont need to have such high measures.

WIth reduced measures people can generally go about their business more freely. Not that it makes much difference to an individual, but time saved overall for a mass group of people, or places that run security, mega savings can be made.

Im not saying that security is lowered when the threat level is lower, its more like the security should be adequate, but its stepped up even further if the threat level is raised.

This is how it should be anyway.

Plus the OP's post about not giving away information as to the terrorists knowing they are being watched? Its more likely its to stop the public getting into a mass hysteria like panic.
    Not...

Seriously, what a load of fucking bollocks it is. If they had information pointing to a forthcoming attack, the last thing they'd want to do is go public with it, since the bombers would immediately know they're being watched.

Bullshit designed to strike fear into the masses :rolleyes:

It's a lose/lose for the Govt.

Warn people - and in this case the warning is for transport/power and emergency services and not the public at large - then you are accused of crying wolf.

Say nothing, when something happens, and you are accused of neglecting the public.
    Not necessarily. Nothing wrong with *moderate and not-too-frequent* general warnings to be vigilant. But all this American-style colour coded warning does come across at best as useless, and at worst as a not too subtle attempt to control and subdue us through fear.

The IRA posed far, far more danger to the public than these Islamist twats ever will, and the country managed just fine without these apocalyptic warnings of impending doom.

Most people who are willing to report something that seems suspicious will do so regardless of the existence of this warning system. And I still maintain that if this is not a scaremongering exercise, then there is more harm than good being done by issuing such warnings.

Don't even get me started on the issue of taking photographs of public places...

It's all a load of bollocks, really.
    426px-Keep-calm-and-carry-on.svg.png
    Not necessarily. Nothing wrong with *moderate and not-too-frequent* general warnings to be vigilant. But all this American-style colour coded warning does come across at best as useless, and at worst as a not too subtle attempt to control and subdue us through fear.

The IRA posed far, far more danger to the public than these Islamist twats ever will, and the country managed just fine without these apocalyptic warnings of impending doom.

Most people who are willing to report something that seems suspicious will do so regardless of the existence of this warning system. And I still maintain that if this is not a scaremongering exercise, then there is more harm than good being done by issuing such warnings.

Don't even get me started on the issue of taking photographs of public places...

It's all a load of bollocks, really.

Islamic terrorists pose a bigger threat than the Irish ever could. They might not have carried out the attacks on the UK mainland that the IRA did, but without a lot of the measures we have in place now, they would and are able to do worse.

When is the last time any of the IRA attacks involved a suicide bombing? Its completely different ideology.
    MrG wrote: »
    Islamic terrorists pose a bigger threat than the Irish ever could. They might not have carried out the attacks on the UK mainland that the IRA did, but without a lot of the measures we have in place now, they would and are able to do worse.

Really?

Or is that just your opinion?

Just seems a big leap of faith to say anti-western fundamentalists are absolutely worse than the IRA but for the precautions we have put in place.
    MrG wrote: »

When is the last time any of the IRA attacks involved a suicide bombing? Its completely different ideology.
    The IRA however were about a million times better equipped, more organised and with proper know-how about bomb-making. And indeed they were able to strike countless times, in all kinds of places and even in the heart of Westminster. While the IRA might have not carried out suicide bombings, it is (apart from the issue of lack of volunteers) because knew certain actions such as the mass murder of civilians would end up being counterproductive for their political aims.

Had the IRA still been operational, in the 4.5 years it has passed since Islamic fundies last managed to mount a successful attack in this country, the Irish would have likely carried out dozens of them.
    The term intelligence worries me after the last ten years.
    The Islamic Terrorists are a bigger threat to the mainland, the IRA were a bigger threat in Northern Ireland. But the Govt is treating according to threat. To defeat the IRA:

1) Removal of trial by jury
    2) Routine deployment of the British Army on British Streets
    3) Use of the SAS
    4) Formation of the UDR specifically to deal with terrorism in Northern Ireland
    5) All police were armed
    6) Mass use of stop and search
    7) Banning certain people from moving between parts of the UK
    8) Supergrass trials

to name but a few

I didn't say that.

I just think it's a big leap of faith, don't you?
    This is not something I'm taking seriously at all. The political establishment couldn't be trusted with anything, and especially not this. The Government has lied before about threats to our national security - weapons of mass destruction in Iraq that could blow us up within 45 minutes, anyone? - so there’s nothing to stop them from doing it again. It wouldn't surprise me if Alan Johnson and the cabal of cunts were making this up as well.

Funnily enough, the Government is saying nothing at all about the nature of this "threat". A convenient little way of shutting down any story too, as it happens. I took it even less seriously when I heard that the one-eyed Scottish idiot is due to hold a counter-terrorism summit this week to discuss the issue of Yemen.

Yeah, in much the same way he held a "salt summit" when the country was frozen solid a few weeks back. What came of that? The country almost ran out of grit.

Osama Bin Laden must be laughing his head off.
    oh.
    I :heart: SG's overreactions.

It's probably the #2 reason I come here.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If saying that the Government is just making up terror threats as it goes along - almost certainly for electoral advantage - is over-reacting, I intend to do a lot more over-reacting.

Your complacency towards authority disturbs me.
    ShyBoy wrote: »

It's probably the #2 reason I come here.

He's like every Daily Mail reader wrapped up into one neat little package. He manages to show outrage at pretty much everything and he's only 20 odd.

I bet you were shouting from the rooftops SG about us not having enough grit (despite most councils who are responsible for the mess were Tory ones) and at the same time bursting a blood vessel because the government had stockpiled swine flu vaccine that it turns out we never needed, how are you resolving that contradiction in your head??? :rolleyes:

As for the threat level, all it means for me is to keep my eye on the train station and power station a bit more often than I already do.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    This is not something I'm taking seriously at all. The political establishment couldn't be trusted with anything, and especially not this. The Government has lied before about threats to our national security - weapons of mass destruction in Iraq that could blow us up within 45 minutes, anyone? - so there’s nothing to stop them from doing it again. It wouldn't surprise me if Alan Johnson and the cabal of cunts were making this up as well.

Funnily enough, the Government is saying nothing at all about the nature of this "threat". A convenient little way of shutting down any story too, as it happens. I took it even less seriously when I heard that the one-eyed Scottish idiot is due to hold a counter-terrorism summit this week to discuss the issue of Yemen.

Yeah, in much the same way he held a "salt summit" when the country was frozen solid a few weeks back. What came of that? The country almost ran out of grit.

Osama Bin Laden must be laughing his head off.
    Why is running out of frigin grit such a topic?
    Where are councils supposed to store all this shit ...that they might not use for ten years?
    You'd be complaining about the land and buildings that had to be paid for to store all this hardly ever used stuff if thats what they did.
    Why is running out of frigin grit such a topic?
    Where are councils supposed to store all this shit ...that they might not use for ten years?
    You'd be complaining about the land and buildings that had to be paid for to store all this hardly ever used stuff if thats what they did.

yep, people complaining about that annoyed me muchly. People are never happy and if the councils spent too much money on stock piling grit and we hadn't needed it then they'd moan about the waste of that money. No pleasing them!
    If everyone cleared their own driveway and bit of foothpath outside their house it'd work so much better... :yes: (providing of course that they scrap the legal thing they have about gritting or clearing snow outside your house)