Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Joining the Royal Navy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I will try and keep this as short and to the point as possible.

I have, for a long while, wanted to join the Royal Navy.
12 months ago I was arrested and convicted of drink driving. (An act of which I regret and am ashamed of)
I attended a "Drink drivers Rehabilitation course afterwards which would reduce my driving ban and help lower insurance premiums.
But this is not what I am concerned about.
What bothers me is how I think it may affect my chances of becoming a Navy officer and it worries me to death that one act of wanton stupidity may ruin this for me.
I know people who are in the Navy and said that they have officers who were even convicted of the same offense whilst actually serving and they are fine.
But naturally I still worry myself silly over it.

Does anyone know here about it? And will the course I did go in my favour if it should become a cause for concern?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You will obviously need to declare it but I don't think it will be a problem, and yeah it might help that you did the course too.

I suggest you contact your nearest AFCO (Armed Forces Careers Office) for advice.
    Hiya

There is a little bit of reassurance on their website but nothing specific.

From what I've found (I've been trying to find out how my medical history may affect my chances of joining a bit later on) its quite hard to find specifics. Your best bet would be a trip to your local careers office which you can find here.

All the best with it!
    I would have thought really that they only really care about convictions for things such as GBH, arson etc.
    But I'd like to be sure but will definitely be going to the office on monday to see an advisor and see what they have to say.
    Due to the infinite variety of circumstance surrounding applications to the forces, and convictions, as others have mentioned, get yourself down the careers office.