Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Leftovers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was talking to a couple of colleagues recently and they asked me whether I flush my leftovers down the toilet? Thinking it was a joke I laughed and told them that I scrape my leftovers into a bin. They both said to one another that I was strange and asked me why I don't flush them down the toilet. Realising they weren't joking I asked them if that means they do, and they said they think it is strange to throw leftovers into a bin where they often stay for days and start to smell, and that more people should flush them down the toilet like they do. They were 100% serious as we then went on to have a lengthy chat about it and others then joined in. The general view was that it was odd to do such a thing. Just wondered what people on here think.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have never heard of people doing that. Bin all the way i think lol
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    I was talking to a couple of colleagues recently and they asked me whether I flush my leftovers down the toilet? Thinking it was a joke I laughed and told them that I scrape my leftovers into a bin. They both said to one another that I was strange and asked me why I don't flush them down the toilet. Realising they weren't joking I asked them if that means they do, and they said they think it is strange to throw leftovers into a bin where they often stay for days and start to smell, and that more people should flush them down the toilet like they do. They were 100% serious as we then went on to have a lengthy chat about it and others then joined in. The general view was that it was odd to do such a thing. Just wondered what people on here think.

That'll just cause blockages though, like those sodding baby wipes, left over chicken carkess, down the carzie...LOL no Bin all the way
    My family have always put liquid based things (eg soup) down the toilet but everything else goes in the bin.

Why the toilet and not the sink? worst I've done is drank some rank milk n rushed to the toilet to throw up in.
    The sink, i can understand... but the toilet?!
    we've got one of those rubbish compactor things, grinds it all up- so much fun! either that or the animals get the scraps.
    I put mine in a tupperware and eat it the next day :thumb:

Never lived in a place without a garbage disposal in the sink but I'd always get yelled at for putting things in the sink at my grandmas cuz she didn't have one. And if things start to stink, take out the garbage. Think of how much water you are wasting putting it in the toilet, not to mention how weird it is brining food in the bathroom in the first place ;)
    Into the compost bin with it... if there's not enough to reuse.

But flushing it away means 5? litres of water needs to be reprocessed. As an "if it's yellow" observant I find this outrageous behaviour.
    Sounds like a big waste of water.
    And I also just save my leftover food for another meal.:thumb:
    Dry junk like bones or stems go in the trash, squishy organic things like carrot peels go down the garbage disposal or get fed to the tortoise or the morio worms. The toilet is way over in the bathroom, never would've occurred to me. :confused:
    I've never known about putting waste disposal down the bog. It's either the bin if it's plain trash or compost bin / waste disposal unit if it's biodegradable.
    Who puts food down the toilet? :eek2:

Any watery food waste goes down the sink, chunky bits go in the bin. If the bin smells, TAKE IT OUT!
    I find it more strange that they thought putting stuff in the bin was weird.
    Olive wrote: »
    Who puts food down the toilet? :eek2:

Any watery food waste goes down the sink, chunky bits go in the bin. If the bin smells, TAKE IT OUT!
    Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.
    Yeah I agree. If the waste is smelling, they need to empty the bin - not chuck its contents down the toilet. Idiots.
    Franki wrote: »
    Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

Again.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    That'll just cause blockages though, like those sodding baby wipes, left over chicken carkess, down the carzie...LOL no Bin all the way

Exactly.

Any leftovers that are edible, I usually stick in a tub and either freeze it or put in the fridge and eat the next day.

If stuff needs to be thrown away, I either put it down the sink (liquid) or it goes in the bin.

There is someone who just puts stuff in the bin and it smells. Anything I put in the bin, goes into a sandwich bag.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I put mine on the compost heap.

Unless it's left over potato and veg from a roast dinner. Then I throw in some bacon (or sausage) fry off an egg and have bubble and squeek.
    Weekender Offender 
    my name wrote: »
    Think of how much water you are wasting putting it in the toilet, not to mention how weird it is brining food in the bathroom in the first place ;)

My friend was once on the phone to me while on the can and said "oh shit i dropped my sandwich!!" on further enquiry it was a peanut butter one.... and he was not joking because he showed me it later with the fluff on it because i didn't believe him >.<

On topic my grandad used to flush food waste down the toilet but thats cos he didnt have a bin in there :yeees:
    people put rubbish in the toilet?!

i put mine in a bin. liquidy stuff goes down the sink. anything else in the bin. if it smells, i take it outside and put it into the wheelie bin straight away.

talking of putting things down the loo, does anyone here put dead fish down the toilet?

my mum used to do that when i was little and i used to get scared that they'd swim back up!!! :lol:
    talking of putting things down the loo, does anyone here put dead fish down the toilet?

my mum used to do that when i was little and i used to get scared that they'd swim back up!!! :lol:

I've done it. My dead fish, unless they get eaten first, either go down the loo or in the bin.
    So it's not just me that thinks it's odd then :D

I've got visions of them taking their plates into the bathroom and standing over the toilet scraping them, the more I think about it the stranger it is :yeees:
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    So it's not just me that thinks it's odd then :D

I've got visions of them taking their plates into the bathroom and standing over the toilet scraping them, the more I think about it the stranger it is :yeees:

That's the mental image I got as well! Definitely not appealing!
    Let's hear where they're from, so we can make fun of it. :D:p
    My friend was once on the phone to me while on the can and said "oh shit i dropped my sandwich!!" on further enquiry it was a peanut butter one.... and he was not joking because he showed me it later with the fluff on it because i didn't believe him >.<

On topic my grandad used to flush food waste down the toilet but thats cos he didnt have a bin in there :yeees:

On the phone while in the bathroom, must be a man thing :p
    On the phone while in the bathroom, must be a man thing :p
    I do it sometimes when I'm on the phone to Rich, but then again I go to the loo with him in the room all the time so *shrug* :p.
    I guess I just don't spend enough time in there to pick up the phone! Perhaps I should eat your beans on toast ;) They man practically lives in the bathroom, he even hooked up a landline phone in there :yuck:
    I guess I just don't spend enough time in there to pick up the phone! Perhaps I should eat your beans on toast ;) They man practically lives in the bathroom, he even hooked up a landline phone in there :yuck:
    It's more like if he rings me while I'm already on the loo. I'll answer it and be like "I'm on the loo, lemme ring you back in a minute".
    sounds like a waste of food
    Ours goes in the bin... unless it's like pasta or something that can be eaten later. All veges and fruit ect go on the compost.
    Xx
    ours goes in the bin but we don't usually have left overs at home, unless its fatty in which case we put it out for the birds :) they love it!
    Until the council stopped food waste going in them we used to put ours in the brown bin for composting on the odd occasion we did have leftovers.
    But never heard of them going down the loo! I thought that was only for dead goldfish?!
    I do flush off milk (once it starts going lumpy) down the loo
    Such is people's habits at home- up to bizarre things. Just put leftover food into a carrier bag and tie a knot before binning -problem solved