Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Goon and Blewit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Seriously, is anyone surprised that these two fuckwits are no longer Ministers when they can't even arrange a coup well? There was never any real chance of it working this close to an election... if they really wanted Brown out then they should have moved in the summer.

This is one of those cases where Labour should steal ideas from Tories. They are, after all, very good at stabbing leaders in the back with several successes since 1992...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Labour Party has now reached a stage where it's so utterly useless that its members can't even arrange a simple plot to remove the Prime Mentalist without cocking it up. Does anyone really want these idiots running the country?

At least the Tories know how to organise a good coup against its party leaders. Which is pretty much all that they know, really.

No wonder this country is fucked.
    David Cameron for next PM
    David Milliband for next leader of the Labour Party

It is all about the Davids
    The Tories certainly made backstabbing and plotting into an art in the latter years of the Major government.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The Tories certainly made backstabbing and plotting into an art in the latter years of the Major government.

There is backstabbing in every party - even the 'squeaky clean' Lib Dems. Labour is just as bad. The only difference is that it is much harder to replace a Labour leader through their cumbersome voting arrangements which makes the pain of a leadership challenge too much to stomach, especially this close to an election.
    I'd rather an experienced man like Brown than an inexperienced boy such as Cameron.
    I'd rather an experienced man like Brown than an inexperienced boy such as Cameron.

Experience of failure? Or taking a risk on the unknown and untested? Could it be much worse?

were you saying the same thing when Thatcher was replaced by Major or Major by Blair?
    MrG wrote: »
    Experience of failure? Or taking a risk on the unknown and untested? Could it be much worse?

They are all crap.
    But ...do any of them have qualifications?
    Yes ...Brown does.

Failure?
    They all fail.
    The big financial failures as far as I'm concerned are all down to a handful of very wealthy and powerful individuals.
    Governments as has been shown around the world in recent times are mostly powerless against the doings of these people.
    I'm dreading an Eton government.
    were you saying the same thing when Thatcher was replaced by Major or Major by Blair?

I was.

I was also pointing out that, like Brown since, Major became PM without a public vote. Tories seem to forget that when they call Brown the "unelected" PM.

I'm also going to say that I don't think that the Tories will win the election. Best they can hope for is a hung parliament. That's not even a given if Cameron puts up many more performances like he did on the Marr show today.

Anyway, Cameron does have some experience. Wasn't he junior to Lamont during the last recession and Black Wednesday?
    Flash was referring to Morrocan's post, wasn't he? :confused:
    I don't know about experience, but Cameron sure has an extremely slappable face on those new fucking billboard adverts they're putting up at the moment.

Though I can see a lot of this happenning in the coming days... :D

6a00d83451586c69e20120a7b16f1b970b-pi
    Oh well, while I'm at it...

david-cameron-poster.jpg
    david-cameron-poster2.jpg
    He does have a look on his face in those pics as though he has pretended to 'swallow' - but hasn't really.
    MoK wrote: »
    I was.

I was also pointing out that, like Brown since, Major became PM without a public vote. Tories seem to forget that when they call Brown the "unelected" PM.

To be fair to myself on your sabbatical I also pointed that out (as I did the fact that Labour called for an election ;) )
    I'm also going to say that I don't think that the Tories will win the election. Best they can hope for is a hung parliament. That's not even a given if Cameron puts up many more performances like he did on the Marr show today.

I dunno. I think a lot of the talk of a hung parliament is down to commentators trying to make it exciting and Lib Dems trying to talk up their vote. At the moment the polls show a workable Tory majority - though that may fall as the election nears I also don't think things like Marr will swing it - people vote on broad narratives, not individual programmes that most won't have seen
    Anyway, Cameron does have some experience. Wasn't he junior to Lamont during the last recession and Black Wednesday?

Yes - he was. But as he was only about twenty three or four and in a very minor position it's a bit like saying that Tony Blair was in CND or that I wanted a Bon Jovi hairstyle - we're all different from what we were and learn from experience and mistakes.

(A wider thing on lack of experience is that many of the senior Tories, including Cameron, have had limited experience of work outside politics, though that is true of Lab and Lib Dems as well)
    In the new Tory poster campaign there "may have been minor touching up" , so you can guess the inevitable follow up

bbdo1a.jpg

go4th.jpg

You can make your own here: http://www.mydavidcameron.com/

Reminds me of the last campaign...
    as I did the fact that Labour called for an election

Of course they did, I remember that too. Easy to play politics with this type of issue.
    I dunno. I think a lot of the talk of a hung parliament is down to commentators trying to make it exciting and Lib Dems trying to talk up their vote.

It's gonna take more seats to change hands than when Thatcher was elected back in '79, and she did that on the back of Winter of Discontent etc. It all depends really on whether Cameron continues to say different things to different audiences (see Married Allowances) or whether he actually gets some detail behind his policies. I don't get the impression that he has much to offer at the moment...
    I wanted a Bon Jovi hairstyle

*sniggers*

Even though I was a huge fan back in the 80s, that one never appealed to me. I wanted the woman from the Whitesnake video though ;)
    Even though I was a huge fan back in the 80s, that one never appealed to me. I wanted the woman from the Whitesnake video though ;)

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mIDdaXzDlg

MMnnnn - didn't we all....

But honestly after watching that vid you've got to say those are damn fine hairstyles :)
    It's gonna take more seats to change hands than when Thatcher was elected back in '79, and she did that on the back of Winter of Discontent etc. It all depends really on whether Cameron continues to say different things to different audiences (see Married Allowances) or whether he actually gets some detail behind his policies. I don't get the impression that he has much to offer at the moment...

But less than changed hands in 97.

Tactically he may be best saying different things to different audiences - it's worked for ten years under Blair.

But in reality the closer we get to an election the more he'll be forced to say, but then so will the Govt. And the Lib Dems will as normal, sit on the sidelines screaming look at me in the full knowledge none of what they say matters in the slightest. Especially if there is a hung parliament and they get a sniff of power, cos they'll drop there manifesto committments like they were Roseanne Barr's dirty underwear

:naughty: That's the lass. Still don't want the hair though, too much like high maintenence...
    And Call Me Dave wonders why he's seen as nothing more than a vapid, shallow showman?

We have a country which is crying out for some real leadership, not the deluded rantings of a mentally deranged Prime Minister who believes he has "saved the world" and abolished boom and bust. We need an opposition with policies, and lots of them, to get us out of this mess. Yet what do the Tories present yet again? Another poster which makes Dave look like a prat. Sack your spin doctors already...
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    And Call Me Dave wonders why he's seen as nothing more than a vapid, shallow showman?

We have a country which is crying out for some real leadership, not the deluded rantings of a mentally deranged Prime Minister who believes he has "saved the world" and abolished boom and bust. We need an opposition with policies, and lots of them, to get us out of this mess. Yet what do the Tories present yet again? Another poster which makes Dave look like a prat. Sack your spin doctors already...

Where to turn SG ...where to turn.
    We need a new kind of politics I'm thinking.
    Desperately.
    Where to turn SG ...where to turn.
    We need a new kind of politics I'm thinking.
    Desperately.
    Oh, there's no doubt about it, we do. I might well be mocked mercilessly for saying this, but when Peter Hitchens says we need to see the rise of new political parties in this country, he is right. Labour and Tories have both failed - it's time for them to piss off and let someone else have a go.
    It's not them that fails, it's us.

Who are the members of these parties? Who votes for them? Who expects them never to say anything which might upset one segment of the population, and when they do for them to apologies?

Watch the next Govt get abuse because they cuts services - we may want to see cuts because it's that or pay more tax, but how many people will happily see a cut in something they use?
    Who are the members of these parties? Who votes for them? Who expects them never to say anything which might upset one segment of the population, and when they do for them to apologies?

Watch the next Govt get abuse because they cuts services - we may want to see cuts because it's that or pay more tax, but how many people will happily see a cut in something they use?
    It's quite simple. Instead of putting the interests of the party first - as currently happens - politicians should put the interests of THIS COUNTRY ahead of their own. It's high time we had some politicians who actually had conviction and guts, instead of the wastes of skin we're lumbered with. As for them saying something that would upset others, I suggest they exercise an Equal Opportunities policy in regards to offence. If it's okay to offend one group of people, it's alright to offend other ones.

The next government will indeed be cutting public services. Hopefully, it will be a sign of something more long-term for this country. It might signal the start of a country with a small government, a country which doesn't spend more on benefits than it gets in income tax. It might mean public services that actually work, and ideally, fewer of them.

But then we remember that it's Airbrushed Dave coming in next. So none of these things will actually happen. Oh well, a nice thought whilst it lasted.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    It's quite simple. Instead of putting the interests of the party first - as currently happens - politicians should put the interests of THIS COUNTRY ahead of their own.

Probalem is, tey think that their policies are in the best interests of the country...
    It might mean public services that actually work, and ideally, fewer of them.

So, which public services don't you want? - hang on, I'm gonna start another thread for that...