Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dextromethorphan (DXM)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone ever taken this as a recreational drug? You get it in cough syrup and a friend of mine in Finland periodically uses it. He wants me to try it when I visit soon.

I'm not really into drugs. I have enough fun taking existing medication and fighting insanity, which is why I don't really like the idea, but maybe if it's just a one off, it won't be so bad.

So, anyone had any experiences with it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it would be your first experience with psychedelic drugs, I'd say avoid DXM. The trip is long and drawn out, and dosing is difficult because it takes hours to come on fully. There are other drugs you could experiment with that would be more forgiving.

If you do take DXM in a cough syrup, make sure you choose one where DXM is the only active ingredient. If you get other drugs in there it can be very dangerous. I've taken it in various forms (lozenges, syrup and pure) and the medicinal preparations seemed to wreak havock on my gut. The lozenges were worst: tripping while sitting on the toilet is not a nice experience.

The effects are fairly similar to ketamine, but the trip is much longer and less sudden. I found it to be darker than ketamine too. Having said that, I took fairly large doses, and lower doses would probably be more 'recreational' than a full-on trip.
    Drugs and mental illness are a bad combination - avoid them completely

EDIT: Also, DXM has effects similar to those of methamphetamine and PCP; the latter of which can induce dangerous psychosis, especially in those with previous history of schizophrenia (not to imply you have schizophrenia of course).
    Faustus wrote: »
    Drugs and mental illness are a bad combination - avoid them completely

EDIT: Also, DXM has effects similar to those of methamphetamine and PCP; the latter of which can induce dangerous psychosis, especially in those with previous history of schizophrenia (not to imply you have schizophrenia of course).

DXM doesnt have any effects in common with meth, and its hardly similar to PCP either. In short its a cheap and nasty way to get high with an hallucinogenic effect not that far away from ketamine, although given it gives you short term memory loss you mostly forget what the high was like anyway.
    According to wikipedia - footnote no.3, it does have an effect simialr to PCP.
    I dunno about PCP, but i am on this terrible drug now, i can confirm, it is well worth avoiding! the sickess is crippling and unbearable..... am i getting old?... all good things must come to an end... listen to the man in the white coat.. i feel shocking...

Like wooooooooah said, tripping on the toilet aint fun when your shitting brown liquid and feeling gut achey. and like budda said, nasty way to get high

Its dirty and feverish, use your erowid.org..do not under estimate!
    It really doesn't sound good, from most of the responses here, though my friend doesn't have a bad word to say about it.
    Honestly, dont... if you do, keep the dose to a absolute minimum, 300mg was too much for me and that's considered a light dose to some, half that at least, but please, avoid..
    I dunno about PCP, but i am on this terrible drug now, i can confirm, it is well worth avoiding! the sickess is crippling and unbearable..... am i getting old?... all good things must come to an end... listen to the man in the white coat.. i feel shocking...

Like wooooooooah said, tripping on the toilet aint fun when your shitting brown liquid and feeling gut achey. and like budda said, nasty way to get high

Its dirty and feverish, use your erowid.org..do not under estimate!

Wait... How exactly did you take the DXM? Don't tell me you necked a bottle of cough syrup?!? :eek2:

You do realise it's available pure online if you look around. Never tried it though myself
    Necked two bottles of robitussin dry cough mixture, 300mg dxm, the sugar content goes straight through you so dioreah expected if you dont take it slowly, not too much other stuff, i have one bottle left for a light trip which i'm going to enjoy swimming some time... i dont advise this to anyone, im just a pure idiot who doesnt care to much about his body.

As for been available online, i read it was only abvailable in america, maybe i'm wrong.
    Necked two bottles of robitussin dry cough mixture, 300mg dxm, the sugar content goes straight through you so dioreah expected if you dont take it slowly, not too much other stuff, i have one bottle left for a light trip which i'm going to enjoy swimming some time... i dont advise this to anyone, im just a pure idiot who doesnt care to much about his body.

As for been available online, i read it was only abvailable in america, maybe i'm wrong.
    Ingredients: Maltitol, Sorbitol, Glycerol, Sodium Cyclamate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium Edetate, Amaranth E123, Caramel, E150, Ethanol 96% BP2.5% v/v.

Seriously? :eek2:

Wouldn't advocate it's use seen as I've never used it myself but for god sake get some pure!! Who knows what all that shite is doing to you? Do you even know what half of it is. I don't!
    seriously, I have had second thought's now, especially as i'm on a raw food vegan diet half that stuff would probably send me to A+E if i'm lucky...