Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

SO worried about a friend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think one of my friend's may be depressed but im not sure and i dont want to do anything until i am:confused: Also, she's being bullied but is scared to do anything about it, and i have no experience in either being bullied or helping people who are and i dont want to talk to an adult without her knowing coz she trusted me and im about the only person she'll talk to and im scared if she closes up the she'll start to s/h again:( PLEASE can someone give me advice?

xxx

Comments

• Options
    Okay, the bullying won't help her self esteem which in turn is likely to make her depressed.

Whilst she may not appreciate you talking to an adult about the bullying, you really do need to. Find someone you can talk to in confidence and explain to them what you have said to us. Other than that be there for her, tell her how great she is and try to make her feel good about herself...
  • Options
    I've just had to sit there...watching her over webcam...she had a knife...and she's so desperate, crying crying crying, she wants an escape...and she has the knife...and she wants to be at peace where no bad stuff can follow...and she still has the knife...and im so scared...im saying all i can...just sitting there watching my friend struggle in the same sort of black hole ive been in, only its so much worse...and i wish i could help her more...i had no idea it was so bad...but the knife...and 15 years of pent up feelings coming pouring out...and the knife...

she didnt do anything this time

but what about next time

i promised her id help...i have to stop this for her...

and im scared

really scared
  • Options
    You have to get someone you trust and let them know what is going on, I think a situation like this, with what you said, is too much to handle on their own. Even if your friend gets pissed off thatr you told someone, what would you prefer, a friend who will eventually be able to get over it after realising what you have done to help them, or one thats dead?
  • Options
    Hi it's MEE:wave: ,

Sorry to hear that you friend is going through a tough time at the moment and understandably you are very worried about her.

Have you tried asking you friend if maybe she could talk to an adult about the bullying ? You could maybe suggest talking to someone together about the problems she is having if she is apprehensive about doing it alone, offer her your support of which im sure you will.

I hope this has been helpful.
    Keep posting and let us know how you get on.
    B:wave:
  • Options
    As becky001 suggests it is far better to help her get better help fro herself, but once she got the knife involved, she lost her right to expect you to respect her confidentiality
  • Options
    Thanks everyone:)

I ended up having to open up to a friend who about it, felt like such a bitch in doing so but she said it was OK and stuff...

Im gonna go talk to an adult, just dont want to get things wrong or anything, and i dunno if my friend really trusts any adult, so im just going to have to go to one i trust.

But im so worried, guess some of the stuff she's been saying has touched a really raw nerve with me and its bringing stuff back and i can feel her despair, but i also know now what i put the person i opened upto through and i hate myself for that.

Just hope it all works out:(

xxx
  • Options
    heya,
    so sorry to hear that your friend is getting bullied......well done for going and speaking to an adult - that is the best thing to do.....i had to do it for a friend when i was younger who was cutting deeply - i felt horrible for doing it but she is so much better off now.
    it will work out in the end but you know it does take time.
    xx
    let us know how ur getting on :)
  • Options
    Went to a teacher today so i guess things might start to get better.

Had to watch her selfharm earlier tho, problem is, i give her so much advice and spend so much time with her, even outside in the freezing cold when she refuses to come in, and she doesnt appear to follow it. and then makes a fuss about trivial little things.

Im trying so hard to put up with it and be there because ive done really similar things. but its getting me down - just coming out the end of my own problems and now im beign thrown into hers, and its dragging me down again - not time to eat, bad dreams, panic attacks, s/h...

Okay...selfish moan over, im just tired and really down

xxx
  • Options
    heya,
    it is fantastic to look after your friend but you need to look after yourself too. is there anyone you can talk to about your worries? obviously not mentioning her name - but it may make u feel bta
    xx
    your not selfish at all. xx *hugs
  • Options
    Ha, turn in events.
    Well, she was really down on monday. Until after the last exam, which was writing. One of the writing topics was "Alone". I knew she would either take it, or breakdown because of it.
    She took it, and wrote about what had happened over the weekend. And came out the exam at her most hpyer, like everything was good and was all fine.
    And has been like that ever since, making a big deal out of little things, but so hyper, clinging to me like a limpet.
    I want her to be happy, but i dont know now if i have just made such a big deal out of nothing. because she scared me, and i had to bring other people in, another friend, a teacher, simply because i was scared she would do something because i thought it was all a big deal. and now its like its not. and im worried that she wont do anything about it...until the next time comes, and the next. i would really like her to see a professional, simply because i think if she doesnt want to get like this again she has to talk to someone who knows what theyre doing.
    ive put so much in and its being thrown back in my face, she doesnt seem to realise just how big an impact this has had on me. i want to help her sort out her problems but i want to know if she actually has problems that need sorting.
    thanks for the support everyone, im getting some from my friends, but tbh, i really need lots atm
    xxx
  • Options
    Heya!!
    How are you?
    It sounds like she needed to get things out in an exam however, not sure if it was a good option to do an exam question on it. You did the right thing to get other people involved and you shouldn't feel wrong about that!! Have you spoken to the teacher again about this? maybe they can help you????
    you will be ok i promise.
    let me know how u get on.
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks flower123:heart:
    Yeah, it will be interesting when the teacher comes to marking it... Ive not been back to the teacher, feel a bit of a fool in some ways, now that its nothing, but i know i should go back to her.
    Well, i will keep trying!

xxx