Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Does a Virgin need a Cervical Smear Test ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a rather embarrassing question :blush:

I've been sent a letter from Gp saying i'm due a Cervical Smear Test.
However i'm a Virgin & unclear whether i need this test done ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, I don't think you need to go, just phone them up to check.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/womenshealth/207351.html
    I am sure I wasn't sexually active when I started having smear tests. My understanding was always that it is very important to have smears done regularly, whether you are sexually active or not. Cervical smears do not generally look for signs of STIs, rather they are designed to pick up the very earliest signs of cell irregularities, which can be a pre-cursor to cervical cancer. Frankly, I am surprised by the advice of the doctor on the website above.
    I am sure I wasn't sexually active when I started having smear tests. My understanding was always that it is very important to have smears done regularly, whether you are sexually active or not. Cervical smears do not generally look for signs of STIs, rather they are designed to pick up the very earliest signs of cell irregularities, which can be a pre-cursor to cervical cancer. Frankly, I am surprised by the advice of the doctor on the website above.

Ok thanks for this :) I'll make appointment to see my Gp & ask her whether i need 1 -and will then book it if necessary

I had 1 about 5 years ago,due to abnormal discharge. Was the most painful thing i've ever experienced :( Really sharp stabbing pains. Put me off ever having another
    The major cause of cervical cancer is the HPV virus, which is passed through sex so, that is why virgins are low/no risk.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/cervical-cancer/about/cervical-cancer-risks-and-causes
    you dont need it if youre a virgin.
    Your chances of having cervical cancer as a virgin are pretty non existant
    I'm not sure on the connection between HPV and cervical cancer, but HPV can be passed by oral sex, so the definition of "virgin" could be important.

(While it may be 'obvious' you can't get cervical cancer from giving a BJ, doesn't meant it's right - I just don't know)
    ive never had a smear test before, but it sounds painful .... what do they actually do to do the test?