Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Copanhagen Fails

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    doesn't really work as an analogy because in your example people DO have power- they have the power to vote.

And you don't have the power to use less fuel, recycle more etc?
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make here. Nothing new there I guess ;)

You have explained what science is, you have explained that it's difficult to understand if you aren't a scientist and then seem to suggest that the concern about Climate Change means that a scientific approach is needed.

Isn't that a circular argument?

I would not have thought so.

That quote was a response to a post claiming that the IPCC link had "the biggest, most authoritative literature reviews in earthly existence".

It was merely pointing out that the IPCC is not very scientific and, consequently, the public are open to abuse because they do not realise it.
  • Options
    Did anyone else hear the fuckwit Ann Winterton MP asking the "it's snowing so what's all this climite change nonsense" question during PMQs today?

Less political fuckwits and more climate experts is the order of the day.

If you want to know the future why not consult (or e-mail ;) ) a senior research doctor at the CRU ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html
  • Options
    My vote doesn't count on it's own, but if enough people vote the same as I do then we elect a Govt...

And then your problems really begin . . . . :D
  • Options
    It was merely pointing out that the IPCC is not very scientific and, consequently, the public are open to abuse because they do not realise it.

It's a damned sight more scientific than the media outlets who spout the "it's snowing so wtf is global warming" line. The public are much more at risk from that kind of story.
  • Options
    And then your problems really begin . . . . :D

Indeed. Voting enourages them, not voting gives them free reign ;)
  • Options
    I don't know a massive amount about this issue, but I know enough about science to spot when someone's bullshitting about something.

Don't be so sure. The best deceivers are the hardest to detect.
  • Options
    It's a damned sight more scientific than the media outlets who spout the "it's snowing so wtf is global warming" line. The public are much more at risk from that kind of story.

It is a jungle out there.

Bullshitters to the left, and fart taxing fascists to the right.

You do need your wits about you to remain unscathed.
  • Options

The easiest people to con are honest people.
    Thats a fact.
    Honest people view the world in an honest way ...they view people and circumstances the same.
    They have and give trust ...why wouldn't they ...they are honest people.
    We seem to have reached a strange place where honest folk are deemed a bit dim.
  • Options

Mama told me not to come ....
  • Options
    I'm still waiting to hear a reason why denialism should be considered, even if man-made global warming turned out to be untrue.

I mean, the worst that could happen is that we create a cleaner world with cheaper fuel and more food and water for everyone, even if sea levels don't rise and defoestation does not happen.

But hey, we can't have crusty lefties telling us how to lead our lives, eh...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to hear a reason why denialism should be considered, even if man-made global warming turned out to be untrue.

I mean, the worst that could happen is that we create a cleaner world with cheaper fuel and more food and water for everyone, even if sea levels don't rise and defoestation does not happen.

But hey, we can't have crusty lefties telling us how to lead our lives, eh...

Cheaper cleaner fuel is already available. Food and water for everyone too. Unfortunately there is little money for corporations and governments in that methodology for the corporate and taxation world we live in. I will hazard a guess that it will not be coming to a town near you anytime soon.
  • Options
    I can want a cleaner world with cheaper fuel and more food and water for everyone wihtout believing in global warming, oh yes, that's right, because I do.
  • Options
    I will hazard a guess that it will not be coming to a town near you anytime soon.

So what would you do?
  • Options
    So what would you do?

Did and do seem more appropriate forms of the verb.
  • Options
    Did and do seem more appropriate forms of the verb.

Lol, thought not.