Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why do you listen to Metal?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
If you could answer these questions you'd do me a massive favor, it's for my A Level Coursework research:
  1. What do you think of Heavy metal/screamo/death metal/etc. (basiclly anything of the heavier persuasion)?
  2. Do you listen to metal?
  3. [If yes] Why do you enjoy it?
  4. [if no] What are your reasons, beyond not liking it?
  5. Do you agree that heavy music makes it's listeners more prone to violent thoughts and/or actions? Why?
  6. If you pass a person on the street who is heavily tattooed and pierced and is wearing an all black outfit consiting mostly of studs/leather do you feel slightly intmidated?
  7. Do you think that Marilyn Manson's music videos are too violently and sexually explicit?
  8. Do you agree with the idea that anyone who watches violent music videos along with the violent song will become, themselves, more violent to them or others?

If you could answer these questions it would be a MASSIVE help, really! If you could answer as detailed as possible that would also be great. I need the most honest views you can give. [Please, if anyone doesn't agree with one persons view could we have no bashing on here just leave it for some where else.]

Thanks so much.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do you think of Heavy metal/screamo/death metal/etc. (basiclly anything of the heavier persuasion)?

I tend to listen to a fair bit of it to be honest, Im jumping over someones dead body to listen to it, like it doesnt jump out and stand out from the rest of what I do. But its there.

Do you listen to metal?

Yes I do

Why do you enjoy it?

I usually listen to it on my mp3 player when im down the gym or having a run, the pace and the mood it gets me in, lets me push myself further.

Do you agree that heavy music makes it's listeners more prone to violent thoughts and/or actions? Why?

Not really, it cant do in some cases, people too young who are still impressionable to that kind of influence shouldnt be listening to it anyway. While i know its not a perfect world, people with medical issues that make them prone to the above described influence, shouldnt really listen to it either. People with no underlying conditions shouldnt have a problem.

If you pass a person on the street who is heavily tattooed and pierced and is wearing an all black outfit consiting mostly of studs/leather do you feel slightly intmidated?

Personally I dont, as I know a lot of people who do dress like that, but I do know people who would be, not just old grannies either. Fair enough people shouldnt judge a book by its cover, and many people do have preconceptions about people who dress that way. However someone who does dress like that should be aware of the issues thay man/can cause.

Do you think that Marilyn Manson's music videos are too violently and sexually explicit

Sometimes they can be, i feel with manson, he/it sometimes seems to go that little bit further than needs be, just for the sake of it.

Do you agree with the idea that anyone who watches violent music videos along with the violent song will become, themselves, more violent to them or others?

Only if they are too young and shouldnt be listening to it in the first place, or have a condition or issue that may make them susceptable. Otherwise as I have said above, it shouldnt make a difference.