Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Your favourite Disney film? (non-CGI)

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
You can include the live-action Mary Poppins and Bedknobs & Broomsticks because that has some animation, but I think the CGI Pixar/Dreamworks films ought to be in its own thread too. Here are mine - top 5:

1. Lilo & Stitch
2. Mulan
3. Aladdin
4. Fantasia
5. The Jungle Book

It was a tough call for Alice In Wonderland too, but these are the 5 that made it for me. With Lilo & Stitch, I'm strictly a fan of just Lilo and the Hawaiian culture, where most of the fanbase will go for Stitch. I think that Lilo is a character that I can relate to immensely, being an odd-one-out type of girl. Plus, L & S was not the usual Disney story of heroines, as no one in the film was actually a 'villain'. Plus, Lilo is soooo cute and adorable! Stitch is fantastic too, and it is he what makes L & S such a funny film. I liked Mulan for the girl power values again, not being the Damsel in distress. Mulan also contains jokes that only the adults understand, plus there was the element of dressing in drag. In fact, Pleakley in L & S is another example of Disney that involves drag dressing. Aladdin is almost purely for comedy value, but with the strong message that it delivers - "you have to be yourself". Aladdin and Jasmine are a very cute couple. Fantasia caters for my synaesthesia - the gift of coloured-hearing, and the idea of Fantasia was to put animation to music. The Jungle Book was more of a childhood favourite from the late 80s, but I also watched it recently and it still remains a firm favourite of mines.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Disney films are my absolute favourite, been watching them since I was little and I love them all so much its hard to choose just a few.

Snow White
    Lion King
    Aladdin
    The Jungle Book
    Robin Hood
    The Little Mermaid - my favourite one when i was little :D
    Pocahontas
    Mulan

They sure dont make them like they used to
    Lion king = win
    MrG wrote: »
    Lion king = win

Oh my yes.
    Lion King
    Aladdin
    Mulan
    Sleeping Beauty
    Beauty and the Beast

aaaaaaaaaaaand
    It's not CGI so Nightmare Before Christmas is #1
    Dumbo
    The Jungle Book
    Pinocchio
    Snow White
    Aladdin
    The Little Mermaid (haven't watched it for years, so it could be shit)
    Robin Hood
    Bambi

But yeah, Dumbo is the best by a mile. Also is it just me, or are Disney DVDs permanently ridiculously expensive? How can you never find any of these films for £3.99 or £4.99.
    I managed to get most of my Disney DVDs for £6-£8, but it's the Fantasia ones that are always £20+ for some reason.
    Fantasia used to scare me so much I havn't seen it since I was little. The multiplying broomsticks and the part with aligators and maybe dinasaurs... I can't even remember.
    land before time
    I think Aladdin was Disney's first hybrid CGI/cartoon - and they all suck visually.
    The Lion King!
    justjames wrote: »
    land before time
    Is awesome, don't think it's Disney though...

My favourite Disney is The Sword in the Stone :D.

Closely followed by The Lion King and Sleeping Beauty.
    Beauty and the Beast closely followed by the Lion King.

My dad bought me a Belle dress for my 9th birthday, the yellow one she wears right at the end of the film when they are all turned back into humans again. I LOVE that film, I love the songs from it and it's magical.

The Lion King is excellent as well, I remember my sister trying to win me a Simba teddy from a machine once and she couldn't and my mum felt bad for me so she went and bought me this big Simba with a roar in it and she left it on my dressing table for me while I was at school, when I came home and saw it I wouldn't put it down I loved it!

ooooh I really feel like watching a disney film now I LOVE anything Disney. :hyper:
    i think lion king is sooo overrated, its boring! i would like to see the musical though as it looks really good.

my top 3 aaaaare

dumbo
    cinderella
    sword in the stone.
    Oh my god how could I forget!!

Beauty and the Beast
    Sword and the Stone
    Cinderella
    Sleeping Beauty

Love them aalllll!!
    i think lion king is sooo overrated, its boring.

Take that back :O
    MrG wrote: »
    Take that back :O

:yes:

They do a brilliant Lion King show in the Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, seen it sooooooooo many times but still love it. Same goes for the Beauty and the Beast show they do at Hollywood Studios.

I'm going to New York in May and my mum said I should see the Lion King show there, my poor hubby isn't looking forward to it much though he's not a fan of Lion King either, his favourite Disney Film is Pinocchio.
    I find animation quite difficult to watch, things move in wierd ways that assualt my brain. Saying that, I do like lilo and stitch, though I'd never watch it if not prompted by a child.
    i love disney films :)

my top five are -
    1) the lion king
    2) beauty and the beast
    3) aladdin
    4) cinderella
    5) the jungle book

me and my boyfriend went to see the lion king musical in london last year and it was amazzzinng :D
    I think I can maybe explain why disney films remain so expensive.

I think its purely a mark of quality, or disneys want to appear as a mark of quality. I bet you now that socialites would stop buying caviar if it was dirt cheap. People see something expensive and most people associate and confuse cost with quality.

Who can say that disney has made a truly shit animated film? Yeah they might have, but thats us saying this as adults. Pretty much every disney film that comes out, theres a huge audience of kids that both cant wait to see it and enjoy it. If disney keeps at its core, and makes films that appeal to kids, then they usually always will. Thats how disney films often appear timeless. The adults that grew up watching them, introduce them to their kids, and both parents and kids can have a good time together.

Plenty of times I have seen cheap random films on ebay and impulse bought them. Yes because I remember them being good films, but thinking back, theres a few bargain (but decent) films I wouldnt have bought if they were a bit more expensive.

The same thing is with disney, yes with higher prices that down fall with age they will make more money (obviously). However the difference between an old disney film and most old films, is people are more likely to go "wow" its such and such a film, many see the prices of the disney film and then associate that and their memories, with a sign of quality. Therefore buying the expensive disney film regardless of cost, where as with other films, cost might be a factor.

The minute disney drop the bottom out of their prices, I suspect there will be a surge of sales, but for long, and the shine would begin to fade from disney films, especially if they are found in the bargain basement as per standard.

Another thing to note, is that since disney keep on churning the odd film out, doesnt matter if sales of legacy films drops, they have the intake from the new film to prop them up. The image of an expensive quality film is something they cant win back if they lose it.
    Disney DVDs are so expensive because they only have them released for a limited time before taking them off sale. You can't buy a lot of them, and they then re-release them at full price. Eg, I tried to buy the original Fantasia on DVD for my 85 year old great uncle because that was the only thing that he wanted for his birthday last year but it's not available at all because Disney have removed it from sale. Bastards.
    KHSS, that story there about your great uncle actually touched me :)
    it made me angry - still can't find it anywhere and he gets poorlier by the day :(
    it made me angry - still can't find it anywhere and he gets poorlier by the day :(

Cant you find it second hand on amazon or ebay? I know its not as ideal as buying it new but its just an idea
    There seems to be very little in the way of copies of the older original version, and then they are £60 or something :)

Though watch this space :)
    Thanks Lexi, I did a lot of searching but like MrG says they are all about £60 which is far too much. And Fantasia 2000 is a load of rubbish!
    Well if the descriptions of this website I've seen are to be believed, a region 0 (any region) copy of the 1940's version of Fantasia, should be on its way to you Mrs M.
    thank you so much! you're so generous :heart:
    Disney DVDs are so expensive because they only have them released for a limited time before taking them off sale. You can't buy a lot of them, and they then re-release them at full price. Eg, I tried to buy the original Fantasia on DVD for my 85 year old great uncle because that was the only thing that he wanted for his birthday last year but it's not available at all because Disney have removed it from sale. Bastards.
    Yeah I think that's true. The shit like Aladdin 2 is always cheap and available, it's just the good ones. The only other films that are expensive are usually classics by foreign directors (and even then, you can get the most famous ones cheaply), because they don't make as many of them. Stuff like Hitchcock films, Casablanca or Citizen Kane is always available for a few quid, so it's nothing to do with perceived quality.
    thank you so much! you're so generous :heart:

$14.99!

Seriously though, that story about your great uncle touched me. This is my random act of majorish kindness for the month. Dont know how long it should take to turn up or anything, but let me know when you get it.
    Ah, I get it now. How lovely.