Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How overweight am I?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

Im an 18 year old guy. I am 5 ft 9 and weigh 15st 9lbs. I have a very muscular lower body (Thighs etc) but a pretty fat stomough. I'd say about 70% of my excess weight is on my belly.

What is the average weight for an 18 year old male and why is it so hard to loose this fat on my stomough?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't worry what the average is, by definition some will be heavier and some lighter. More of a concern is that you have a "healthy" weight and there's a range (BMI isn't perfect but it's a reasonable indicator)

BMI.gif

As for losing weight there really is only one approach which is proven to been effective long term. It's not a carb free diet, not weight watchers (or any other company) nor is it any of the "heart surgery" crash diets. You have to eat less and exercise more. In effect, change your lifestyle. It's your current approach to lifestyle which has got you where you are.

It's not easy, there is no quick fix and so it takes time and you need to remember that. Good luck though :thumb:
  • Options
    The best way of telling how overweight you are is to use a body composition analyser.
  • Options
    According to that graph you are "Obese"
  • Options
    Faustus wrote: »

Joy :shocking:

I actually don't "look" obeese. Apparently slightly overweight, My shoulders are extremely broard and muscular (49 inches), so It's a bit deciving. But I do have a pretty fat belly.
  • Options
    Im just slightly overweight for my height, but if i took off the muscle i have and replaced it with fat, id look very overweight, yet have a normal BMI. The BMI index was designed for people with pretty standard average (not overtley active) lifestyles.

This leads to people who according to the chart are overweight, but are infact very muscly and fit.

If you look like you have a bit of a fat belly, its worth working on the losing of the weight, doesnt matter how muscly your legs and arms are, 15 odd stone at 5ft 9 is a bit over. Work on losing some weight and do a lot of situps/crunches.
  • Options
    Weight specifically around the gut can be a sign of other issues - hormone imbalances in particular. If this is the case, eating less and doing more isn't likely to help all that much.

The BMI is not the be-all and end-all, it's just a general indicator of how typical people measure. Talk to your GP, of have your body fat calculated and any tests they may feel are relevant. :)
  • Options
    I have a bigger midriff and according to that, I am just under the obese line. BMI makes you feel crappy IMO. I think reach the stage where you feel comfortable in yourself, that's what I'm going to do, even then I will be borderline o/weight. It depends how your body shape is and where all the fat is really.
  • Options
    Faustus wrote: »

i wouldn't really go off that graph to be honest. according to that graph, i'm well within the underweight range which i don't believe i should be.

bmi is a load of poop anyway. muscle weighs more than fat. you say you have quite muscular legs so i wouldn't really worry about it. you are probably just well built. alot of guys are.
  • Options
    Waist circumference is now believed to be a much more accurate measure of future health risk than BMI alone. Carrying too much fat around your middle is associated with an increased risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.

It's also associated with a greater risk of high cholesterol levels which, in turn, increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

A waist circumference greater than 80cm (32in) for women and 94cm (37in) for men increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases, for example, heart attacks and stroke, and diabetes.

The greatest risk is for women with a waist measurement of more than 88cm (35in) and men with a waist measurement of more than 102cm (40in).

To measure your waist size, place a tape measure around the narrowest point of your waist (between your lower ribs and your hips), breathe out and measure the circumference.
  • Options
    i wouldn't really go off that graph to be honest. according to that graph, i'm well within the underweight range which i don't believe i should be.

bmi is a load of poop anyway. muscle weighs more than fat. you say you have quite muscular legs so i wouldn't really worry about it. you are probably just well built. alot of guys are.
    I dunno, it's put me at about right tbh (smack bang in the middle of 'overweight' *sigh*). Obviously it's not going to be as accurate if you're fit and healthy but quite petite in general, but imo if you think you're overweight rather than 'muscular', it's not a bad graph.
  • Options
    bmi is a load of poop anyway. muscle weighs more than fat.

Hence why I mentioned that fact that BMI isn't perfect. However as he's concerned about weight and that his belly is the problem, it was better than nothing. And it answered his question.

Also worth noting that BMI is used in most health circle as an indicator - not the whole issue - but you shouldn't dismiss it completely.
  • Options
    Joy :shocking:

I actually don't "look" obeese. Apparently slightly overweight, My shoulders are extremely broard and muscular (49 inches), so It's a bit deciving. But I do have a pretty fat belly.

do you have two names or are you just talking about yourself?
  • Options
    go_away had a link of pictures of women showing their BMI. Fit (fit as in in shape, not as in aye mate, thats a fit bird) women were overweight, ones with an ounce of muscle were obese... same concept would apply to men.

Though fat around the midsection is something to take note of as it can be a factor in eventual heart health issues as well as many other things. Hip to waist ratio is a good thing to look at. Sometimes, if fat is concentrated in the belly, it may be more visceral fat than subcutanious fat. (organ squishing fat vs pinchable fat) and that can be much more dangerous.