Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

University part time and finance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
It has been recommended that I do university part-time because, I can't cope with the way the timetable is.

My timetable has been changed; but makes no difference. I am still in uni 3 days a week for at least 4 hours each day with very little break in between. The ones I need to change, I can't; so I'm stuck. This is now affecting my health and studies. I am physically incapable of doing 4 hours with breaks 3 days a week, without coming home and feeling shattered. I have now started falling asleep in lectures too.:(

The uni know I want to drop a module; but my head of programme keeps baiscally telling me I can't do that. He knows I'm struggling and that I can't go to the drop in session on a Wednesday; because I need the break and need to rest.

It has been recommended that I change course and that I attend uni part-time. How would this affect me financially? I know I can still gret DSA. (full time would be 3 years; part-time would be 5 years)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you looked at the http://www.direct.gov.uk website to see what they say there? Or SLC website?

I believe you have different entitlements as a part time student- for example, one difference is that parttime students are often not exempt from council tax. However, your disability entitlements may cover this.
    I have looked on both of those sites and am still very confused.
    Good luck in the real world..you'll need it!
    4 hours a day, 3 days a week - and you think that's a lot!? :eek2:
    icey wrote: »
    Good luck in the real world..you'll need it!
    4 hours a day, 3 days a week - and you think that's a lot!? :eek2:

It is when I'm constantly having to read stuff. :(
    is there a medical reason as to why you are feeling so shattered?

I have CFS and so i know what it feels like...

Perhaps you could go to your student services and ask for help. I have done that, but not for the same reason. I found they were very helpful. good luck
    Melian wrote: »
    It is when I'm constantly having to read stuff. :(

A lot of jobs will require you to read quite a lot.
    Nutter wrote: »
    is there a medical reason as to why you are feeling so shattered?

Yes there is. Finishing at 6.30pm doesn't help me at all.

MrG - I know that; but do know there is software for computers that can help with that. I do have the software, but am not allowed to use it (instead of reading the notes) in lectures.
  • Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    hi Melian,

If you're still having trouble with this question, you could try the Skill ( national bureau for disabled students) helpline - 0800 328 5050 or look at their website http://www.skill.org.uk/page.aspx?c=3&p=159

Good luck - i hope you manage to come to an arrangement which makes studying easier and less exhausting - congratulations for sticking with it, even though you are finding it hard.

Let us know how you get on. If you're interested in writing about your experiences, you might want to consider setting up a blog on the site.org's new sister site, Lifetracks.com. I'm sure other people would be interested to find out how you're getting on.

Best wishes,

Emma