Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

£15 'victims levy'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story Here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8437440.stm

So obviously we've had this for people convicted at court for a couple of years but they want to spread it for on the spot fines,

Do you think it should be spread across to on the spot fines? My personal opinions are Yes but with strict guidlines, Eg that the entire money goes to Victims and not "part of it" but I also believe that if it was raised from motoring fines then it should go to victims of motoring crimes not others, (eg burglaries or other such crimes) Whats the point in fining someone for a motoring offence and them paying the "Victims levy" if it goes to some victim of a totaly unrelated type of crime.

With regards of the stealth tax comments I do agree if unmonitored and if we are kept in the dark of where the money is going it could end up in some Goverment back pocket or retirement fund or god knows where..

Opinions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Might be a dumb question.... but where does the money from the main part of the fines get spent? (The bulk of the fine that isn't the victims levy). Is there a breakdown available anywhere?
    Might be a dumb question.... but where does the money from the main part of the fines get spent? (The bulk of the fine that isn't the victims levy). Is there a breakdown available anywhere?

Well, I am only googling a couple of things as I am not sure but.

according to www.ukmotorists.com
    Where does the money from speed cameras go?[/bp
    Neither the police nor local councils make any money from speeding fines. They can only claim back their running and administration costs for the scheme, and any surplus goes to the Treasury.

For Fixed Penalties like seat belts or mobile phones I cannot find out any information.
    I think that fixed fines like drunk-and-disorderly etc goes straight to the gov't, where some court fines will go to victims, but the court always takes a chuck of the money - about 33%.
    It's just another way of raising taxes and it stinks.
    If your crime has a victim and you've been to court, then fine. For fixed penalties? No way.

Maybe if the government let the local forces keep money made from tickets, a percentage of that could be used instead, but only for criminal tickets, ie theft and section 5.

ie, if you have to pay £80 for a public order offence, £10 of that goes to a victim's pot, and the rest goes to the force that imposed the fine.
    His association is calling for a victim fund to be established so that when magistrates order for compensation to be paid to a victim, it can be paid in full immediately.

But if someone is caught speeding, why should they have to compensate a victim of an unrelated crime?

I don't agree with this at all.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If your crime has a victim and you've been to court, then fine. For fixed penalties? No way.

Maybe if the government let the local forces keep money made from tickets, a percentage of that could be used instead, but only for criminal tickets, ie theft and section 5.

ie, if you have to pay £80 for a public order offence, £10 of that goes to a victim's pot, and the rest goes to the force that imposed the fine.

No way ...you'd have performance based coppers coining it in under orders.