Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dr. Who

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Is this show now popular anymore? I've not seen any threads, not even for the christmas episode? I'm only watching it right now. Isn't he on his last regeneration anyhow? How are they going to pull off that new emu scenster?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's still really popular, second or third most popular show this christmas on the telly. To be honest though I think most people are just waiting for the new creative team to come on board - Steve Moffat has been responsible for some of the greatest episodes (blink, girl in the fireplace, the doctor dances) and putting him in charge looks like it will be a great move, emo haircut Doctor notwithstanding.

Sadly Russel T. Davies has been a bit over the top for my liking, so the show has been getting a bit like an embarressing older relative who won't stop blowing rasberries in the corner... funny at times but a bit inappropriate.

So hopefully we'll get a great Time Lord based second half to the christmas special and then an end to the doctor racing about on Johnny 5 or John Simm's bad acting being replicated across an entire planet...
    Jim V wrote: »
    It's still really popular, second or third most popular show this christmas on the telly. To be honest though I think most people are just waiting for the new creative team to come on board - Steve Moffat has been responsible for some of the greatest episodes (blink, girl in the fireplace, the doctor dances) and putting him in charge looks like it will be a great move, emo haircut Doctor notwithstanding.

Blink has to be the best episode ever. By far.

It was on again the other night (Watch) and I just had to see it again...
    So hopefully we'll get a great Time Lord based second half to the christmas special and then an end to the doctor racing about on Johnny 5 or John Simm's bad acting being replicated across an entire planet...

I though that Part 1 was a bit shit really. Hopefully it's just setting things up nicely for a cracking finish. Interested to see how exactly the Time Lords are returning considering that they have been wiped out (leak in time?) - even the Face Of Boe didn't see that coming...
    Sadly Russel T. Davies has been a bit over the top for my liking, so the show has been getting a bit like an embarressing older relative who won't stop blowing rasberries in the corner... funny at times but a bit inappropriate.

Hahaha this is so true, i'm sick to the back teeth of him, and he seems to be going out of his way to just shit up Doctor Who before he leaves

Russell T. Davies seems to have this obsession with getting the Doctor romantically involved with... well, everything. There was even a moment in Last Of The Time Lords where I thought he was going to shoehorn the Doctor and the Master together.

Disagree hugely with the opinion of John Simm's acting. That said, haven't yet seen this years Christmas special, so perhaps that view will change... *runs to iPlayer*
    I'm surpised Wilf was shocked when he realised the TARDIS was bigger inside than out. He must have a dreadful memory as when he was a young peeler he went in and travelled to the future where the Daleks had taken over the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULHCwzIgEs8
    I'm surpised Wilf was shocked when he realised the TARDIS was bigger inside than out. He must have a dreadful memory as when he was a young peeler he went in and travelled to the future where the Daleks had taken over the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULHCwzIgEs8

lol, love that movie
    please be good, please be good, please be good...
    gota bit shaky with the Cacti but thank god it was great in the end - fantastic last line as well...
    What a load of self indulgent old tosh! I was so disappointed with the ending... at least Ecclestone went with dignity :grump:

Star Trek, Star Wars (okay Cribbens, dont't get cocky!) and a visit from Bond.

Could have shaved the last 30 minutes off without buggering the story.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think that previous series finales were so much better. I much preferred the whole Davros thing at the end of the previous season in comparrison to this ending. Rather disappointing for the final eps with DT, IMO. And they *had* to get Rose in there somehow :|
    15 minutes too long (same as last year) with transparent attempts to tug at our heartstrings. It was good up to then (and I loved the nod to Star Wars). The only good thing after the Master dies is the name on the book - Verity Newman, loved that nod to the creators
    Not too bad, but could have been a lot better.

New doctor seems interesting.
    MrG wrote: »
    Not too bad, but could have been a lot better.

New doctor seems interesting.

+1
    Haven't seen it yet :(
    But I just want to add I saw D.Tennant (:heart:) on the Friday Night Project and it was second time hosting and he is the most hilarious and sexy man.
    Took their eye off the ball imo. This could've been a great story, but they spent too much time saying goodbye to DT, and not enough engaging with the main plot. In the end, the fact that the Time Lords were coming to end the universe seemed like a bit of a side show. There was never the sense of threat and helplessness that you got from the Daleks, or the Master's previous appearance, or even some of the minor villains throughout the series. They should've been the greatest foe he's ever faced, but they spent so long fannying around that they ended up having a brief cameo and giving the Doctor a relatively simple dilemma, rather than a real challenge. In fact, they were quite literally a side show, since the whole plot seemed to be constructed as an elaborate foil for what happened at the end. And I think it showed. I didn't like the LOTR-style 20 endings before it actually ends either.

I'm glad the fella that wrote Blink is taking over, because that's one of the best episodes, if not the best. And incidentally, the lead in that now appears to have won every acting award going this year for her film An Education.
    Preview of the new series -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/newyear/