Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Family

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just another one of Broken-Angel's moany threads... sorry guys, but I need help.
Okay, so, I'm at my dads. And it was all going fine until yesterday, when my sister was listening to a song and said it was something and I corrected her. She started to cry, and so I said I would go upstairs until she'd calmed down. Not a minute after, her mother came storming up saying I was a bitch and that I couldn't upset her child. She pushed me, so I pushed her back- which is only fair. Then I went in my room, and my dad came in shouting at me that I ruin everything, and he never wants to see me again. He was right in my face, so I told him to fuck off and he told me to get back to my emo shit and just cut myself. After he'd gone, I did just that. I honestly couldn't stop myself, and I cut myself really badly. I got blood all over my room and had to wash everything. Anyway, now I'm in a really bad mood and in pain. My dad doesnt want to see me, and yeah. Sorry for the rant.
Xx
EDIT: Sorry this probs. should go in the relationships board.

Comments

• Options
    First things first is make sure your wounds are ok, clean,sterlise and bandage if necessary, is it bad enough to need to go to the Hospital about? IE stitches, etc if so I would recommend seeing one ASAP.

Familys can be tough and it sounds like your father doesn't understand your depression. am I right in thinking you are seeing a councilor? I wonder if it would be worthwhile suggesting about getting your parents involved and helping them understand your problems?
  • Options
    I can't get stickes now, it's been 24hours I think but I did clean them. And I am not in councelling ((spelling??)) anymore, but there is a lady at school I see (a "learning mentor")
    My dad and I have never got on well since he got married, but shes stropped off now and gone to her mums. Aparantly I'm never going to be able to see my sister again, but to be honest I don't care anymore.
    Xx
  • Options
    Maybe if you do not care to avoid confrontation is to keep away from them, by what your saying you do not seem to mind if you never spoke to them.
  • Options
    Please get your injuries checked.... Check out this link from NHS direct... you can find the nearest service to you that will be able to help.. so could be a walk-in centre or minor injuries unit.

If you decide not to visit a healthcare professional, keep it clean etc and keep an eye on it to ensure its healing OK and that there are no signs of infection.

Could you print off some info on depression and hand it over to your dad? I did read something good a while back, can't find it at the moment but I'll keep looking. But there are lots of pages on sites dedicated to "Understanding depression".

Just out of interest.... how good is your relationship with your sister?

Take care

EDIT - sorry took me a while writing this, missed what you said x
  • Options
    Hi there broken angel :wave:

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time over xmas...it can be a particularly stressful time for us all! No normality and lots of pressure on everyone to "get along". I'm sorry to hear that you felt that self-harming was the only option for you after your arguments.
    How are you doing? Just want to check where you're up to and wondering how you feel about the questions that purplestarfish asked?

Take care :)
  • Options
    Tbh, i know it sounds a little lame, but if i was in that situation, i would have left the blood everywhere, and left the house for the day, make your dad see what he has caused by suggesting that you do what you did. Families are always crappy around christmas time...hell, most of the year if they're like mine...but yeah, make sure your cut is clean and everything. gimme a shout if you wana chat or whatever :) x
  • Options
    Heyya guys,
    well I'm going home today anyway... and the thing about my dad is he is a counsellor (sorry about spelling!) and so I always think he should understand. I do love seeing my dad, just not his wife and all the rest of their family- I've never been part of it.
    Xx
  • Options
    Heyya guys,
    well I'm going home today anyway... and the thing about my dad is he is a counsellor (sorry about spelling!) and so I always think he should understand. I do love seeing my dad, just not his wife and all the rest of their family- I've never been part of it.
    Xx

I understand that, i love my dad and lil sister but i don't feel part of the family with my stepmum and so i don't go to see them often, but feel guilty about it, The thing is, i've never been able to tell my dad i would just like to hang out with him & my sister alone, i feel too guilty about not being able to 'intergrate' into his family. My dad remarried when i was 14 lol, so i've had plenty of time, but i just cant say it to him :confused:
  • Options
    Just I told him to fuck off and he told me to get back to my emo shit and just cut myself.

:(

if your dad is a counsellor then yes he should understand, but i think sometimes our parents find it hard to know what to do when it's happening to their own kids, because they are used to dealing with these issues in a more professional way and without being personally involved. when i was younger i refused to go to school, and my mum didn't know what to do, even though she's a teacher so she sees it all the time. but when it's happening in their own family or with people you care about, rather than taking a step back and dealing with it in a more rational way, i think they panic just like any other parent and their expertise goes straight out of the window. maybe that's why he did what he did. that doesn't mean it's ok, he was completely out of order. but he's probably scared and doesn't know how to handle the situation and i think dads especially sometimes feel like it's their responsibility to protect their daughters, their little girls, and when you have problems it can make them feel like they have failed. we say this so often on this site, but try to imagine you were the parent and it was your child who was suffering, it must be unbearable. again that doesn't for one second make what he did ok.
    i'm glad you are home and away from him because it sounds like he doesn't know how to handle his emotions and maybe he is torn between caring for you and caring for his partner and child, and feels like it's one or the other. you must go back to school next week? i think you should try to tell your learning mentor what happened and see if they have any better advice. until then try to take care of yourself and look after your cuts and keep talking. x
  • Options
    It's not nice what he said but do remember that you did nothing to warrant it.