Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Someone to kickstart my brain?...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, just wanted some opinions or advice on a pretty big problem I'm having at the moment

I've noticed recently I'm having trouble being attentive and engaging with the world around me. This could be anything from feeling lathargic, daydreaming and being distant, to having difficulty thinking of what to say in conversation and solving problems etc

It's like I have no motivation or energy to really 'get into' what's happening around me. When I'm listening to people, or walking around doing day to day stuff, nothing comes into my head like observations, feelings or opinions :banghead:

It is making me feeling really inadequate and is killing my ability to connect with others. Can anyone relate to any of this, or can anyone put a handle on a specific problem I can sort out?

Comments

• Options
    Hey RyB57
    Firstly, welcome to TheSite :wave:
    Sorry to hear you're having difficulty with concentrating. Is it a new problem or something that's been going on for a while? I'm sure this is something many people have experienced as shprt-term problem, but if it is a long-term thing it might be worth making an appointment with you doctor to see if there's anything they can suggest. It could be something really simple, like a change of diet/lifestyle/season etc.

Have you checked out our health section? There are loads of useful articles that might give you some inspiration. Here are a few for starters:

Look after yourself

Being positive

Anxiety and stress

Exercise motivation

Work motivation

I hope some of these help you... do keep posting and I'm sure other posters will come and give you there own advice.

Hannah
  • Options
    RyB57, how often do you feel like it? Like, all the time, or only in occasional bursts? I get the feeling - sometimes I feel more as though I'm watching everything happen around me, rather than actually being involved in it.

I find it only makes things harder when I force myself to try and contribute, because then I feel like I'm pushing it too hard and behaving like an over-the-top idiot - I don't know if it's like that for anyone else...?
  • Options
    OnceMore wrote: »
    I find it only makes things harder when I force myself to try and contribute, because then I feel like I'm pushing it too hard and behaving like an over-the-top idiot - I don't know if it's like that for anyone else...?

Hey, I know exactly what you mean, just can't help thinking things should just flow and be spontaneous?? I sometimes have a hard time relaxing in most situations, maybe that extra anxiety is a distraction for the brain and is hindered in some way...:confused:

Yeah it happens most of the time, but there are 'golden moments' when I just feel awake and connected, not sure of the stimulus tho. My brain is one hell of a procrastinator
  • Options
    spanner wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're having difficulty with concentrating. Is it a new problem or something that's been going on for a while?

Hi Hannah, tbh it's prob been around for a while now, but since graduating I've become more aware of it, as I'm no longer distracted by studies etc...

And I have been quite depressed in general over the past six months, I guess that would have something to do with it. Will check out the pages you suggested
  • Options
    RyB57 wrote: »
    Hi Hannah, tbh it's prob been around for a while now, but since graduating I've become more aware of it, as I'm no longer distracted by studies etc...

And I have been quite depressed in general over the past six months, I guess that would have something to do with it. Will check out the pages you suggested

It sounds a bit like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

?