Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

need literature about self-harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi all.

i wasn't really sure whether to post this in health & wellbeing or here. i decided to post it here 'coz well... i'm a student and this is more of an academic matter as opposed to health.

anyway, i'm currently doing a study on self-harm. am focusing on individuals who have self-harmed in the past and see if there are any common trends as to why they stopped.

am not asking for volunteers or anything like that as this is a local study and not an international one. what i wanted to ask for is if anyone has any good reading materials they can let me know about. books are okay, but journal articles would be better.

i've already gathered up data and literature on my own, but of course, there's only so much one man can accumulate. so if anyone has any good reading about the matter at hand, please do let me know. if one would be so kind as to let me know of full text journal articles I can read online, please do post the link.

thanks in advance for those who can help. :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I always find google scholar quite useful for this sort of thing:

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=self+harm&hl=en

Links to journal articles and if you have Athens access through your university you should be able to read the full article for a lot of them.

Sorry nothing specific but hope that is of some use.
    :thumb:

Hi, Im doing my dissertation on self harm awareness in schools. Hawton et al has some good reads also Batmanghali (can't spellit), Ron Best.
    Google self harm and you'll get loads.
    Ive just tried out Survey Monkey thanks to site.org to get info off the young people, might be worth a try depending on your approach

good luck with studies :)
    if you go to http://www.siriusproject.org and go into the forums you will find a lot of interesting stuff, though it does require registering. Also, even though you arent asking for them, im willing to volunteer :)
    if you go to http://www.siriusproject.org and go into the forums you will find a lot of interesting stuff, though it does require registering. Also, even though you arent asking for them, im willing to volunteer :)

haha. thanks for the offer, but my research is culturally bound. you might just end up confounding my results. hehe. but if and when i decide to do something cross-cultural, i'll ask TheSite.org first and if they allow me then i'll let you know. thanks guys. :)