Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Non-christian christmas

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The tree is a religous thing ...says so in the old testament.

It's not a Judeo-'religious' thing though. The verses in Jeremiah hardly condone the practice.

[1] Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
    [2] Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
    [3] For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
    [4] They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
    [5] They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
    I think it's quite hypocritical to call non-Christians hyprocitical for observing a Christian festival (meta hypocrisy?), since Christians was originally based Christmas on a Pagan festival. Maybe we should start having a massive piss up and eat throughout the day in the run up to Eid - that would be a slightly more hypocritical, British slant on Eid.
    i think its up to the individual what celebrations they partake in, even if they dont really buy the original meaning of it.

The problem with christmas is its quite hard to not be sucked in by it. If you dont want to at least mark the day somehow, youre seen as a misery guts, and god forbid you dont buy anyone presents
    Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8jw-ifqwkM
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    In that case, you must never say that we're in 2009. That's a Christian way to count years. :p
    That wasn't a joke post, you know. Celebrating Christmas and counting years based on (supposedly) when Jesus was born make as much sense as each other.
    They're both mainly Christian things but both are ingrained in our culture so non-Christian people "use" them as well. You can't say it's hypocritical to "celebrate" Christmas if you're not a Christian but that it's ok to count years since the birth of Christ.
    This year we celebrated the great eastern God of Wii
    Well I went to Church yesterday.

You heathen are gonna burn, make no mistake.

So you worship that satan guy who burns people yeah?

Hmm, eternity in heaven with Cliff Richard, or eternity in hell with the greatest rock artists that ever lived...

Tough call ;)
    MoK wrote: »
    Hmm, eternity in heaven with Cliff Richard, or eternity in hell with the greatest rock artists that ever lived...

Tough call ;)

Yeah, but in hell they play a 24 hour loop of Cliff Richard's Greatest Hits ;)