Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ebay seller - can I claim money back?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Guys,

Basically, I ordered a sofa from ebay on 28th Nov.....brand new etc, I presume she gets it from wholesalers even though she didnt state this on her listing.

She asked could she deliver 3rd of December. However, as I was getting a new carpet and needed to get rid of old sofa, I asked could she deliver week commencing 7-11th Dec so I could have time to sort myself out

She said this was fine.

So, I emailed her midway through that week asking was that date still ok, she said they were expecting a shipment that week, so it would be the following week, more than likely thursday 17th, possbile friday 19th.

Fine by me, gives me more time to sort things out. Carpet came. So on the monday, I rang the council to pick up my sofa. They couldnt get it until the 23rd of December. Starting to panic a bit now, as new sofa was due before then......

Rang round removal people and had to pay £60 to get them to come get it and tip it. Cannot really afford that so near crimbo, but felt I had no other choice....

Anyway, it is now the 21st and there is no sofa! She said she has spoken to the wholesalers who have said they cannot track the shipment.

She told me on at least 3 occasions that I would get this by Christmas. Her feedback was great, apart from the last few days where people have been saying they had to cancel order due to no stock.

So basically, is there anyway if the sofa doesnt arrive, that I can make her at least give me the £60 removal fee back?

As if it wasnt for her giving me false hope I : -

a ) wouldnt have had to pay it as I could have waited for the slot on the council's van

and

b) wouldnt have had to get rid anyway as there is now no sofa for her to deliver....

My fella was meant to be coming boxing day to meet my mum :(
Now there is nowhere for him to sit :crying:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I very much doubt it. If she's a really good seller then maybe she would give you the 60 quid or some of it as a gesture of good will for messing you around - especially as it's not your problem that there are supply issues.

But legally I doubt there is a basis for this. You chosing to remove your old sofa and her supplying a new one are two disconnected events.
    Thanks, thought that would be the case.

Absolutely gutted to be £60 down AND have no sofa :( x
    Littleali wrote: »
    Thanks, thought that would be the case.

Absolutely gutted to be £60 down AND have no sofa :( x

did u payu via paypal? they are actually really good and u probably would get ur money but it could tyake 1 - 2 months! put in a claim so she takes u more serious x
    GhostGirl wrote: »
    did u payu via paypal? they are actually really good and u probably would get ur money but it could tyake 1 - 2 months! put in a claim so she takes u more serious x

Hi, I haven't actually paid for sofa yet, it is cash on delivery
    If there were any delivery charges I would ask to have them knocked off the final price since it is late and has inconvenienced you now. Otherwise you can't really knock her as you are paying for a sofa and she is giving you a sofa. Unless something is wrong with the sofa you don't really have any recourse unfortunately :/