Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

China!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok so im moving to China in Febuary to teach English for five months and I have to pick a region that I would most like to go to....I am flying into Bejing and was thinking of going to Shanghai....
Has anyone ever been or have you got some favourite spots of your own?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Seems a bit weird to fly into Beijing then go somewhere else. I've never been to China, but I always liked the look of Guangzhou. I also quite liked the look of Chengdu, although mainly for the surrounding area.

But here's a list of the most livable cities in China by China Daily from 2005 (though I'm guessing China changes quite quickly).

1. Dalian
    2. Xiamen
    3. Mianyang
    4. Chengdu
    5. Wuhan
    6. Hangzhou
    7. Shanghai
    8. Nanjing
    9. Qingdao
    10. Chongqing
  • Options
    My dad used to live in China..I went to visit him when I was a kid, and we traveled around a lot. I'm sorry I can't really remember any names, but I don't think I ever saw anywhere I would not want to live :]
  • Options
    How accessible/remote do you want to be, craicjunkie?

I've lived in Beijing, visited Shanghai several times, and several other places in China.

You can choose somewhere where there are a lot of Westerners- Shanghai is the most westernised/cosmopolitan, or the capital Beijing is also AMAZING- or you could go somewhere more remote and "chinese". Be warned though, the more remote areas will be difficult for you to acclimatise to, and you may feel like a bit of a freak show being stared at- but they may also be really rewarding. You could head for the beautiful Guilin or into the multi-ethnic communities of Yunnan.

How much travelling have you done? That may serve to influence your decision. If you're confident to head off into the unknown in a small, out of the way city, go for it. If you're a little nervous, you may do better to be in slightly more internationalised cities where you can gain access to home comforts like beijing or shanghai. Maybe Tianjin if you want somewhere slightly smaller.
  • Options
    How accessible/remote do you want to be, craicjunkie?

I've lived in Beijing, visited Shanghai several times, and several other places in China.

You can choose somewhere where there are a lot of Westerners- Shanghai is the most westernised/cosmopolitan, or the capital Beijing is also AMAZING- or you could go somewhere more remote and "chinese". Be warned though, the more remote areas will be difficult for you to acclimatise to, and you may feel like a bit of a freak show being stared at- but they may also be really rewarding. You could head for the beautiful Guilin or into the multi-ethnic communities of Yunnan.

How much travelling have you done? That may serve to influence your decision. If you're confident to head off into the unknown in a small, out of the way city, go for it. If you're a little nervous, you may do better to be in slightly more internationalised cities where you can gain access to home comforts like beijing or shanghai. Maybe Tianjin if you want somewhere slightly smaller.

I have done a good bit of travelling but this is my first time going on my own so I think I would prefar to stay in a city like Beijing or Shanghai!
  • Options
    My personal preference is Beijing. But Shanghai is also cool :)
  • Options
    for me, it's either Beijing or Shanghai..
    love to visit the some day..