Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

When time alone is needed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't people get times when they feel inside they need to spend time away from people. If you live in a family it may mean going for a walk in the park or to the cinema alone. Or if you have your own flat you decline or delay going out with friends. Perhaps withdraw into your shell when really socially stressed and rest in bed for a couple of hours as others go about their business during the day

I certainly need time alone. So I like living by myself and enjoy the space it gives me. Time with no one else around in my flat means the social anxieties and pressures from the day settle and disperse- makes be stronger. I like managing the people versus time alone balance in my life every week- good for body and mind :):):)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree. :) It's never a bad thing when someone wants to be alone just to think, reflect, clear thoughts, or even just to relax. i just find it kinda annoying when friends see me alone and automatically assume that something is wrong or that i actually want some company. O_O extroverts (in general but not all or at least those that i know) just seem to have a difficult time understanding that for some people, being alone can be a comfort. :)
    I like to spend time on my own but it is hard cos people know you are on your own and assume you need some company so you end up doing something you hadn't planned when all you really want to do is chill and be without company, even if just for afew hours I love having my flat to myself. I think it does you good.
    I agree. :) It's never a bad thing when someone wants to be alone just to think, reflect, clear thoughts, or even just to relax. i just find it kinda annoying when friends see me alone and automatically assume that something is wrong or that i actually want some company. O_O extroverts (in general but not all or at least those that i know) just seem to have a difficult time understanding that for some people, being alone can be a comfort. :)

Why introverts need to recharge is alien to socially outgoing people. We're a personality divide
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    I like to spend time on my own but it is hard cos people know you are on your own and assume you need some company so you end up doing something you hadn't planned when all you really want to do is chill and be without company, even if just for afew hours I love having my flat to myself. I think it does you good.

or if you live with someone eventually they're someone who understands why you need space and ensures you still get it
    Fruit Loop wrote: »

i wish i had a flat all to myself. but alas, i live in a culture where staying with your family is sort of mandatory. O_O but i can dream about it, right? when am alone anyway. :)
    i need more time alone than i get.
    Sometimes I get up really early so i can sit and read or something before the children wake up and it gives me a bit of space, otherwise i dont get any at all
    i wish i had a flat all to myself. but alas, i live in a culture where staying with your family is sort of mandatory. O_O but i can dream about it, right? when am alone anyway. :)
    My parents expected me to stay with them, but I still went as my own space was more important
    i need more time alone than i get

Yeah, social pressure can sap your energy