Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Part Exchange of Vehicle

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought a new car today (collecting on xmas eve) and have been offered £2,000 for my current car as a part exchange. The dealer looked at the exterior of the car and how many miles it had done, asked if the gears work ok and if the car runs ok and that was all they asked before giving me the price they would buy it for.

Although the car has been extremely reliable and it does run ok, it has got a problem with the suspension which no doubt they will notice as soon as they drive it. I'm worried that I will drive away with the new car and they will contact me at a later date to say that they want the money back due to the suspension probs, or at least some of it. Or perhaps they will drive it before they let me take the new car and will turn it down? Although surely they should have done that today?

I know it will prob all be in the small print when I get it (although that is often hard to interpret!) but I don't want to ask the garage what happens if.... as they might suspect something. Anyone know much about this?

Comments

• Options
    Nope as if they do not ask it is there fault, you should be fine.
  • Options
    They should've done an inspection prior to offering you a price. They know what they're doing, leave them to it. :)
  • Options
    Yeah I'd leave it to them to inspect the car. Once they've agreed the transfer they can't really come back to you in 3 days or whatever as anything done to the car could have been caused by them.
  • Options
    They asked if it was running all right, and you said yes.

You were aware that the suspension was wrong, so you have committed fraud.

Chances are they wont do anything about it.
  • Options
    Depends what you mean by running. As far as I'm concerned, if someone tells me their car is running rough, you assume there is a fault with the engine.

Nobody can reasonably expect a typical consumer to know the nitty-gritty about the product they have. The number of cars that fail the MOT - due to both serious and minor faults - is testament to that.

The garage are skilled in what they do. It's their place to offer a price depending on the circumstances, and to know what it is they're buying.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    They asked if it was running all right, and you said yes.

You were aware that the suspension was wrong, so you have committed fraud.

Chances are they wont do anything about it.

I take your point but the only reason I know there is a prob with the suspension is because when I had it serviced about 3-4 months ago the garage advised me that the front wishbone bushes are worn.

The car has been extremely reliable, and as far as I'm concerned it does run ok as it gets me from a to be every time. I take 'run' to mean does the engine work properly, does the car drive. If he had asked 'are there any problems or faults that you are aware of' then yes I would have been lying. I've spent very little on the car other than minor things like tyres, worn break pads, bulbs etc, which you would expect with any car as general wear and tear.

However I am still concerned as I usually do everything by the book and I took the advice of all my friends and family who said not to say anything.