Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Looking at houses - what to ask?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When house hunting, what questions should I be asking?

All I've got so far is:
- what's included in rent
- when is rent due

Any other tipes would be welcome too. I've been given a pfd from accommodation team - this includes things such as useful contacts.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    are you looking at a room in a shared house? If so, I think you should ask about the habits of the people already or who are going to live there. Are they all students? Do they keep quiet after 8pm? Is there a rota for chores? etc. Otherwise you're only going to end up in the same situation you had in halls.
    how much bills normally come to.
    Thanks.

Katralla - thanks for the suggestion about houseshares. Didn't think about this.
    I would check that the deposit is put into a deposit bond scheme; this way your money is protected so your landlord can't screw you over.

If it's let through an agency I would also ask if an agency rep could do an inventory prior to moving in or if you have to do it yourself; this is to ensure you have an accurate record of the state of the property before you rent it; again, so the landlord can't screw you over.

What are the neighbours like? No, what are they REALLY like?

Why are the current tenants leaving? How long did they stay there?

Is it a rolling contract after 6 months or do you have to re-commit to a long term let at the end of each lease?

How long has the flat been empty?

Does the LL live locally?

How many other properties do they let?

Are they a member of any landlord associations or local landlord accreditation schemes?

Will s/he be managing the place, or is it being managed by an agent?

Who would you contact, and how, out of hours in an emergency?

What fees will you have to pay - other than rent & deposit - eg credit check, inventory check in/check out, renewal fees etc?

What is the council tax band?

Who are the current suppliers for water/gas./electric/internet and can you change them?

Is there a water meter?

Are the gas and electricity on meters, or pre-pay key things?

Is there residents parking? If so, how much is it, and how much are visitors permits?

Is there a repair contract for the boiler?

I've moved many times and have had MANY awful experiences, so I'm a bit mental when it comes to checking up on things!
    Thanks BK.

I have started hunting; but it's a bit hard trying to find something for 6 months time and not now.
    Hmmn, for 6 months time. I would just leave all contact details with all the agancies and then follow it up a few months later and see if there's anything becoming available.
    Sounds like a good idea. I think I'll do that instead, thanks.