Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BBC Ask - should homosexuals be killed?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/dec/16/bbc-africa-have-your-say

Yes, this is exactly as the thread title indicates.

The BBC actually asked this question. I don't think the idea of asking a 'controversial question' is going to wash here; not unless you start asking the same question about 'jews' to the 'arabs' (or vice versa).

And in any case - that would be equally stupid.

Someone has dropped a very large bollock here (responses are, mercifully, more encouraging in the main).

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/dec/16/bbc-africa-have-your-say

Yes, this is exactly as the thread title indicates.

Given the recent changes in the law in Uganda, and the ongoing situation in various Islamic countries, I think it's a good question to ask.
    Ha. I should've read the link before posting.
    I can see another Daily Mail front page. Oh hang on, no I can't. Wonder why? :chin:
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Given the recent changes in the law in Uganda, and the ongoing situation in various Islamic countries, I think it's a good question to ask.
    It's not the way to go about asking it. I do think there are ways to discuss the bill (the spirit of which, arguably, is not as straightforward as a resolution to 'execute homosexuals'). The idea of criminalising homosexuality surely is the issue, and execution is a logical - but ridiculously worrying - extension.
    To be honest, I think it's a good way to address the issue.

First get your moral foundation sorted. Is it ok to apply the death sentence to someone because they are homosexual?

From there you can then look at the arguments people are putting forward to do just that.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/29/uganda-death-sentence-gay-sex give more information about the bill that's to be passed.

It seems to be the usual situation of locals sneering at anal sex, as well as the long-handled-screwdriver of evangelical Christians from the U.S.
    Given that The Ugandan Supreme Court, when considering the constitutionality of the death penalty earlier this year, made the comment "hanging as a method of execution as it is carried out in Uganda is a cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment", a return of lapidation could be the answer for those that want to resurrect old laws.
    I think the question could have been more subtle, since all it did was divide the insane "kill em all!!!" loons and the sane people that were obviously outraged that it was even up for discussion*. The real debate lies in whether a foreign country is right to influence anothers democratic procedure.

*Coming up next on Have Your Say: should we doubt the holocaust? and Is it right to lynch black people?
    Given that The Ugandan Supreme Court, when considering the constitutionality of the death penalty earlier this year, made the comment "hanging as a method of execution as it is carried out in Uganda is a cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment", a return of lapidation could be the answer for those that want to resurrect old laws.

Its really two debates in one.

1. Should Uganda legislate against homosexuality?
    Of course not, this would be a step backwards for human rights. I don't think any government should be legislating against what consenting adults are doing in the privacy of their own homes.

2. Should Uganda have the death penalty?
    Again, I am against the death penalty in general, and it does seem pretty harsh in this case. Sodomy is a victimless crime, so why hang someone for it?
    Aside from anything else, I think perhaps Uganda has more important things to spend its governments time and money on.