Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The overrated jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What careers and ordinary jobs attract applicants but are not worth it?

Comments

• Options
    Social work I believe is loved by some but everyone else avoids it. Dealing with troubled people at risk of getting hurt yourself. No wonder many social services departments have loadsa-vacancies

Teaching is very attractive in this recession, giving job security and good pension but is high stress and many teachers think of leaving- 'cos abuse from teenagers
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Social work I believe is loved by some but everyone else avoids it. Dealing with troubled people at risk of getting hurt yourself. No wonder many social services departments have loadsa-vacancies

Teaching is very attractive in this recession, giving job security and good pension but is high stress and many teachers think of leaving- 'cos abuse from teenagers

Armed forces is actually quite a good one, some of the trades you can get into, can set you up for life in civvie street once you get out. Challenging but rewarding.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Armed forces is actually quite a good one, some of the trades you can get into, can set you up for life in civvie street once you get out. Challenging but rewarding.
    Some men enter the army and other armed services out of childhood dreams, encouraged by masculine play as a boy, books on the stuff etc. It isn't that great if you look at the perspective of the risk of being killed in action. Considering the survival instinct of people as animals this walk of life is definitely exceptional
  • Options
    ambulance. At least over here. I've seen so many bitter beings (I'm talking about the paramedics, not the patients). Overworked, underpaid, really unthankful. god thanks I was out after one year.
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Some men enter the army and other armed services out of childhood dreams, encouraged by masculine play as a boy, books on the stuff etc. It isn't that great if you look at the perspective of the risk of being killed in action. Considering the survival instinct of people as animals this walk of life is definitely exceptional

Well take note that I am not smearing the sacrifice of life made by armed forces here, but in perspective, look at the number of deaths in road/traffic accidents each year. We have lost 200+ troops in afghanistan since 2001, thats in 8 whole years. Yes a lot more are injured, like 4 for every death, and while its dangerous when your out there, I personally find id rather go that way and then just getting knocked over by a car while crossing the road.

It is an odd thing to describe till you have been there and done it, but to some it means more to die while in service of the Queen/Country than it is for some random reason like getting run over.
  • Options
    These jobs are underrated, not overrated. People go into teaching and social work because it is something they desire to do, they want to help others. The fact that they are often stressfull and underpaid keeps many people from going into such jobs when more people are really needed. Just because you do something that is seemingly thankless and perhaps a "waste" of a job definatly does not mean it is not. What would things be like if everybody went for the stress free well paid job, who would teach your children, save lives, give hope to troubled youth and do the work that makes society and the town you live in livable?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »

It is an odd thing to describe till you have been there and done it, but to some it means more to die while in service of the Queen/Country than it is for some random reason like getting run over.
    Yes, the social/national significance of a job can outweigh the animal instinct to survive. Whilst a High street store worker can refuse to climb in the storeroom quoting health and safety reasons plus insurance cover. Guys join the army and put themselves at incredible danger 'cos they feel for the job. The storeroom guys say they're not paid to put themselves at risk
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    These jobs are underrated, not overrated. People go into teaching and social work because it is something they desire to do, they want to help others. The fact that they are often stressfull and underpaid keeps many people from going into such jobs when more people are really needed. Just because you do something that is seemingly thankless and perhaps a "waste" of a job definatly does not mean it is not. What would things be like if everybody went for the stress free well paid job, who would teach your children, save lives, give hope to troubled youth and do the work that makes society and the town you live in livable?

I think they're overrated because there are more people wanting to do them which is part of the reason the wages are often not that high compared to the work you have to do.

I would say an underrated job is something that nobody wants to do, like an undertaker or something where the wages are higher compared to the work you have to do.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think they're overrated because there are more people wanting to do them which is part of the reason the wages are often not that high compared to the work you have to do.

I would say an underrated job is something that nobody wants to do, like an undertaker or something where the wages are higher compared to the work you have to do.

Those types of jobs are exactly what people don't want to do here! For example, granted I go to a pretty small school, there aren't more than a couple dozen people going into teaching right now... and thats for all ages and all subjects. Social work always seems to be looking for people as it is also something nobody wants to do, stressful and terrible pay, like has been mentioned... and very high turnover.

From all that I know, most people don't want anything to do with those kind of jobs and can/will find something much less stressful and higher paying. Must be nice to live somewhere where people want to do the shitty minimum wage jobs ;)
  • Options
    well, people would obviously factor pay into their decisions, but say undertaker + teacher were equally paid, a lot of people would take teacher because its got a 'feel good' factor, even if the actual work is shite because of nasty demands on you.
  • Options
    Admin is way overrated. For years and years admin was my avalon, something I really really wanted to get into and believed that once I'd get into it, I'd "arrive" :lol:

It is in fact one of the shittiest jobs out there. You get all the responsibility on your shoulders and take none of the credit. I would honestly be happier cleaning toilets than typing letters and taking messages for a$$holes again.
  • Options
    HunnyPot wrote: »
    I would honestly be happier cleaning toilets than typing letters and taking messages for a$$holes again.
    And an 'in-tray' with paperwork that needs dealing with that never goes down!
  • Options
    HunnyPot wrote: »
    Admin is way overrated.

I wasn't aware it was rated in the first place.
  • Options
    It is for school/college leavers who can only seem to get factory or cleaning jobs lol.