Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Killing In The Name Of...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
According to iTunes, as I type, it's outselling the X-Factor single.

This pleases me.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ohh i wonder if it will be number one but i have seen songs ahead in itunes but have only came 3rd in the charts. :|
    I love this song, i saw them at Rock am Ring 2008- apart from the sound difficulties, they were amazing <3
    I have bought and will again :D plz do teh sameage!
    only buy this 1/2 times as it will flag up (if the same card/name is used) and will not be counted :(

http://www.livehits.co.uk/ for downloads at least
    hehe, this song reminds me of my youth
    I've bought it....don't want stupid Joe to get xmas number one :impissed:
    I'll just point out that Amazon have it for 29p. Or free if like me you were lucky enough to be sent a free £1 credit for their music store. :D

Obviously it has to be way ahead on downloads to win it, because it's not available on CD.

It's number 1 and 3 in the Amazon chart, because there's a clean version too.
    I'll just point out that Amazon have it for 29p. Or free if like me you were lucky enough to be sent a free £1 credit for their music store. :D

Apparently that doesn't count, because it has to cost 40p or more to be counted, or something. According to the facebook group. So there's no point buying it on Amazon.

Surely they can't beat Joe though? The CD single is being released today, and most of the gimps who buy X Factor releases are likely to be the kind of people who are too technologically inept to download it, so will have been waiting to buy the CD version.
    jamelia wrote: »
    Surely they can't beat Joe though? The CD single is being released today, and most of the gimps who buy X Factor releases are likely to be the kind of people who are too technologically inept to download it, so will have been waiting to buy the CD version.

Why not? if everyone on the original FB group actually bought a copy it could be, seeing as it was getting close to a million members ebfore it started crashing/disappearing all the time.
    So here's my reasoning:

Let's assume that not everyone who joined the facebook group will buy a copy. Seems a fair assumption, since many people will have joined the group just because one of their facebook friends invited them to, or whatever. You've got to be massively optimistic to think even half the members of the group will buy it.

Let's also assume that not everybody who voted for Joe to win X Factor will buy the single.

Suppose the proportions are roughly the same of these people; roughly the same proportion of members of the group will not buy RATM, as voters for Joe will not buy his single.

Nonetheless, the facebook group has 1 million members. 10 million votes were cast for Joe.

Even if a far smaller proportion of Joe's voters buy singles, on this logic he still has a lot of leeway to still get to number 1.

I can't work out why anyone cares, anyway. You'd think there was some golden era when Christmas number 1s were amazing and culturally significant. That's just false.

ETA: Alexandra sold 650,000 singles last year. That requires 2/3 of the members of the group buying the single, and I can't see that happening. Plus, this campaign is likely to encourage the teenyboppers that love Joe to buy more singles than they might otherwise have done.
    As an aside, does anyone else find it a mighty coincidence that both RATM and Joe are signed to the same label?

Might it be that the facebook group was perchance set up by someone from Sony BMG rather than a well-meaning rock fan with slight anarchistic tendencies, and the former are now sitting back and rubbing their hands together with glee at all the money they're making? :chin:

I love what this stands for, and you can't argue with the money it's making for charity, but I smell a rat.
    Everyone does love a conspiracy theory don't they?

At end of the day it's a bit of fun, and the campaign has ended up raising a load of money for charity, even if inadvertently. Already read soemwhere else where this has been suggested and couple interviewed who set it up turn out to eb geniune.

Even if not, it'd still rather hear RATM on the radio than x-factor shite.
    Like I said, can't argue with the charity, and totally agree with the idea of it as number one.

But is the best way to undermine and piss off the corporate bigwig record execs to buy hundreds of thousands of copies of a tune that they own, while inadvertently fuelling sales of another tune that....they own?
    jamelia wrote: »
    Apparently that doesn't count, because it has to cost 40p or more to be counted, or something. According to the facebook group. So there's no point buying it on Amazon.

That's the dealer price, not the retail price. The X-Factor single is on there for 29p too, and I doubt they'd allow it to be sold for too little to count towards the chart, since that's the whole point of the single.
    Would you see it working with a non-well known tune? they tried it last year and it failed as far as i recall. And i imagine RATM being number 1 wouldn't really be balanced out by however much they get in royalties from the song, which isn't gonna be very much as they are all cheap downloads.
    I don't think it's a big Sony conspiracy, but I do think the choice of song was misguided. At least choose a song that isn't go to make millions for a company in which Simon Cowell has a financial interest, for god's sake, otherwise what is the point?
    Would you see it working with a non-well known tune? they tried it last year and it failed as far as i recall.

Last year the aim was to get Leonard Cohen's original (and much better) version of Hallelujah to number one ahead of Alexandra Burke's. They didn't make it, but it did chart at number 2, which was a pretty good effort.

Anyway, just my 2p. ;)
    That's the dealer price, not the retail price. The X-Factor single is on there for 29p too, and I doubt they'd allow it to be sold for too little to count towards the chart, since that's the whole point of the single.

Fair enough, I was just quoting what I had read on the facebook group.

I have no intention of buying either, since one is a pile of wank, and I already own the other.
    Olive wrote: »
    Last year the aim was to get Leonard Cohen's original (and much better) version of Hallelujah to number one ahead of Alexandra Burke's. They didn't make it, but it did chart at number 2, which was a pretty good effort.

Anyway, just my 2p. ;)
    Actually the Cohen version was at 30-something and the Jeff Buckley one (which was the campaign) was number 2.
    This year seems to be going better though. It's lead from the start and is still in the lead. Obviously CD sales will have a big impact, but last year Jeff Buckley's version sold 81,000. RATM had that in one day. X Factor had 576,000 sales last year, and I reckon this years will be higher.

Killing in the Name has also been getting some Radio 1 play over the past few days.
    Franki wrote: »
    Actually the Cohen version was at 30-something and the Jeff Buckley one (which was the campaign) was number 2.

Of course it was!

I did know that originally. This body co-habiting thing is making me stupid :blush:
    Olive wrote: »
    Of course it was!

I did know that originally. This body co-habiting thing is making me stupid :blush:
    It's ok, we can forgive you ;).
    *ahem*
    I bought it and got others to get it as well - Really hope they get number one :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I wont buy either.

Winter Winds should be number one on music merit (not by xfactor marketing or a facebook campaign)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCg_QEHtkY
    Weekender Offender 
    GET IN!!! They did it! Awesome news :D
    I like the x factor one
    Yay