Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Drinks nostalgia

This is aimed at the older generation, who have been through the alcohol brands that have come and gone. What do you remember? What do you miss? What were your faves?

Does anyone remember an alcopop called Metz? It was an alcoholic version of the classic cloudy lemonade, although Smirnoff Ice released something virtually identical 3 years later. We're talking 1998 for Metz and 2001 for Smirnoff Ice.

Reef is the only alcopop that I remember in 1998 and is still around now. Plus, it never had its percentage knocked down. It has always stayed at 5%. Everything else have dropped from ~5% to ~4%. Underaged drinkers possibly?

What has happened to Worthington? This was a bitter and quite a nice pint. Go to any bar in 1998, and this was mandatory amongst the pumps. This has since gone, but I do like how quite a few places now offer guest ales.

Nowadays, I'll go for the likes of 1664, Grolshe, Cobra and Sol. Not Carling/Calsburg/Fosters - they taste like water :-D

Spirits - thankfully, not a lot lost since 1998. Mine's usually a Gordon's & Tonic. Or Bombay Sapphire :-)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I could murder a Cherry B :)

Elizabethan Barley Wine, Biarritz (bitter orange barley winesque). When i used to work in a pub in Eastbourne they sold this stuff called Old English Sheep Dip, think it was a scotch or maybe not. Blue Bols, yummy. Diamond Blush.
    20/20.

Man, those were the days. Every week a different neon coloured vomit.

I also drank a lot of Hooch and Bacardi Breezers. Disgusting.

Oh and I do remember Metz in many a sleazy establishment. It was a cheap knock off Smirnoff Ice, like VK was a knock off WKD.
    Whitbred pale ale in screw top bottles long gone sadly.
    As for cherry b's rubber ...my wife has a dozen in the shed.
    At least a dozen ready for xmas.
    Got them in asda or morrys I think.
    I'm looking for that Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer. I dont really like alcohol much anymore but that sounds nice
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I'm looking for that Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer. I dont really like alcohol much anymore but that sounds nice

It is, it's gorgeous. It just takes like non-alcoholic ginger beer really; but with that nice warm fuzzy alcohol feeling too. Yummy.
    jamelia wrote: »
    Oh and I do remember Metz in many a sleazy establishment. It was a cheap knock off Smirnoff Ice, like VK was a knock off WKD.

Yeah, VK is deffo a rip off WKD because WKD came first. In the Metz/S.Ice case, I'm pretty sure that Metz came out first.

I was a big fan of Bacardi Breezers like you :-) I first noticed them in 1997 when I used to stack shelves during my 6th form years, then I tasted my first Breezer in 1999. I was pretty big on the Breezers until 2006, when shop/pub supplies started to wane.
    hooch and two dogs
    also thunderbird and mad dog 20/20 can you still get those?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    hooch and two dogs
    also thunderbird and mad dog 20/20 can you still get those?

Those were the ones I was thinking of.
    Weekender Offender 
    I only 'just' remember Hooch. My era begun in late 1998, which was the tail end of Hooch availability.
    Metz was really nice, its a shame that isnt around anymore. Plus there was the Smirnoff mule which was slightly odd but went down a treat.
    shit mixes
    Budda, I remember the name Smirnoff Mule back in 1997/8 but it was slightly before my pubbing/clubbing days. Presumably it was vodka-based, but what were the available flavours?
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Presumably it was vodka-based, but what were the available flavours?

Only 1. It was a bottle of cocktail, a Moscow Mule. Vodka, lime juice and ginger ale.
    Mmmmm... Hooch.
    Thanks RS :-)
    When I was 7 or 8 me and my mates broke into a pub and stole a big crate off hooch. Got pissed on it and fell asleep on the road. Good times good times.