Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rate your newspaper......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With them available free online and for a charge at retail outlets, do you value what national newspapers have to say? Are they worth paying for and if you surf news webpages which ones are good?

The mix of celebrity news, horror crimes, political commentary and informative pictures. Are the newspapers worth reading and which ones do you avoid?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My standard news site online is BBC news followed by the Guardian website. Don't buy as many paper newspapers now that I have broadband. The London Evening Standard was a favourite even before it became free. And the Independent is good to pick up when I'm buying a pint of milk at the cornershop- but too expensive on a Sunday at £1.80!
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    My standard news site online is BBC news followed by the Guardian website. Don't buy as many paper newspapers now that I have broadband. The London Evening Standard was a favourite even before it became free. And the Independent is good to pick up when I'm buying a pint of milk at the cornershop- but too expensive on a Sunday at £1.80!

isn't £1.80 cheap for sunday paper?

i don't read newspapers, if its important i'll hear about it thru word of mouth. tho i do skim the bbc website like everybody else in a spare 5 minutes at a computer :p
    IMO newspapers are all rubbish, they make you feel well informed while actually providing you with nothing, id rather spend my time learning from a book than reading news.
    isn't £1.80 cheap for sunday paper?
    Depends on your personal thresholds
    i don't read newspapers, if its important i'll hear about it thru word of mouth
    people say what the free press writes can be crap- then relying on word of mouth is more tricky in my opinion
    I don't mind paying for high quality news, but there are limits. The Times is one of the better papers on the market, but at 90p per day, (and £1.50 on Saturdays) it's a bit on the expensive side for me. I never bother with the Sundays anymore - none of them really does it for me.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I don't mind paying for high quality news, but there are limits. The Times is one of the better papers on the market, but at 90p per day, (and £1.50 on Saturdays) it's a bit on the expensive side for me. I never bother with the Sundays anymore - none of them really does it for me.
    Oh I don't know. I find the Sunday Sport's combination of in-depth political analysis current affairs coverage most rewarding.
    I'll read the BBC and my local rag online for the news and the Daily Mail so I can leave comments lol.
    I wouldn't pay though.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I'll read the BBC and my local rag online for the news and the Daily Mail so I can leave comments lol.
    I wouldn't pay though.
    only the serious minded would need a full paper version
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Oh I don't know. I find the Sunday Sport's combination of in-depth political analysis current affairs coverage most rewarding.
    Most Sunday papers have too much in the way of supplements. You're paying the extra for loads of mini-magazines with in-depth rubbish
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    only the serious minded would need a full paper version

Most Sunday papers have too much in the way of supplements. You're paying the extra for loads of mini-magazines with in-depth rubbish

tend to normally buy the guardian, but i generally like something i can read so i'll comfortably settle for the times :)

i'm probably one of the few people who buys a newspaper regulary, but £1 per work day ain't too bad i find :)
    i'm probably one of the few people who buys a newspaper regulary, but £1 per work day ain't too bad i find :)

I used to buy 3 newspapers daily to get a varied news and opinion report. But just making capitalists rich by reading their propaganda lol. Now its the occassional paper on random days, esp with access to free online stuff
    In some careers you will need to read the news a lot to be on top of developments in the wider world. In others not so much.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    In some careers you will need to read the news a lot to be on top of developments in the wider world. In others not so much.
    On some courses too- studying may involve buying different newspapers