Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Italy's PM Silvio Berlusconi is bloodied by attack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8410946.stm
BBC wrote:
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has been hit in the face and knocked to the ground after a political rally in Milan.

Pictures showed Mr Berlusconi, 73, with a badly cut lip and blood on his cheek and chin. A man has been arrested.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmm i don't like berlesconi much, i don't think he takes his job very seriously (maybe thats good, lets the people who know what their doing do so w/o a leader interfering, dunno) but i don't think violence gets the point across to him; especially as he thinks "i am the most persecuted man in history". i like the way they mention that the attacker has a history of mental health problems way before they mention that he has no previous criminal record. discreditting him before mentioning the facts.
    Are we allowed to snigger?
    MoK wrote: »
    Are we allowed to snigger?

Not if you believe politics should be conducted by democratic means, off course if you think that it should be conducted by violence you can laugh out loud
    I'm laughing out loud not cos I think it should but because I know it is.
    Not if you believe politics should be conducted by democratic means, off course if you think that it should be conducted by violence you can laugh out loud

Act carried out by a man with [alledged] history of mental illness. Which part was an attack on democracy?

NB Before Aladdin or anyone else jumps in - Isn't Italy part of the coalition of forces in Afghanistan and Iraq? Isn't that politics using violence?
    Denial of safe drinking water ...basic medicines ...starvation ...bombs and bullets ...all democratic forms of violence.
    He's a despicable cunt of the highest order of course. However the image of a 73-year old man bloodied and dazed doesn't sit well with me, even if it is someone as repulsive as him.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    He's a despicable cunt of the highest order of course. However the image of a 73-year old man bloodied and dazed doesn't sit well with me, even if it is someone as repulsive as him.

It sits fine with me.
    The old bastard has spent his life trampling on other people.
    If we had any sense we'd be lining them up and throwing rocks at lots of them.
    Hanging some of them.
    MoK wrote: »
    Act carried out by a man with [alledged] history of mental illness. Which part was an attack on democracy?

NB Before Aladdin or anyone else jumps in - Isn't Italy part of the coalition of forces in Afghanistan and Iraq? Isn't that politics using violence?

The attack bit - unless you think he randomly attacked a complete stranger

I should have used the term internal politics, but even in external its the policy of last resort where not acting would be worse than acting. And if it was an Afghani or Iraqi, it might be a legitimate attack (as all sides attack enemy leaders), though perhaps not given that the UN recognised Govts support Italy
    It sits fine with me.
    The old bastard has spent his life trampling on other people.
    If we had any sense we'd be lining them up and throwing rocks at lots of them.
    Hanging some of them.
    Well in Italy they have previous experience of doing just that to their leaders... :D

I would like few things more than him being prosecuted and convicted of any number of crimes: fraud, corruption, extortion.... and for him to spend the rest of his natural life rotting in jail like the bullying, corrupt, fascist, racist evil scumbag he is. But it is still a disturbing image, even if I feel no sympathy for him.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Well in Italy they have previous experience of doing just that to their leaders... :D

I would like few things more than him being prosecuted and convicted of any number of crimes: fraud, corruption, extortion.... and for him to spend the rest of his natural life rotting in jail like the bullying, corrupt, fascist, racist evil scumbag he is. But it is still a disturbing image, even if I feel no sympathy for him.

After watching so much war and famine footage ...having listened to so many lies and seen so many rip offs from the extortion classes I feel no pity whatsoever.
    He is a bit of a douche tbh. I don't agree with violence in a democracy but if anyone on a personal level had it coming, it was the corrupt philanderer.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    . I don't agree with violence in a democracy.

How about outside of one but perpetrated from within one?
    How about outside of one but perpetrated from within one?

What I meant was using violence to interrupt the fair and democratic process i.e. intimidation of political leaders.
    What I meant was using violence to interrupt the fair and democratic process i.e. intimidation of political leaders.
    How about when the political leaders interfere in the fair and democratic or otherwise lives of innocent people?

admiral_gene_larocque.jpg
    I don't condone violence in lieu of due political and democratic process. However, in the case of Berlusconi, I'm prepared to turn a blind eye. When you emasculate the democratic process of your own country to grant yourself immunity from proceedings against your own very dodgy dealing, you deserve a slap.

I don't say I agree with it, but I understand.
    How about when the political leaders interfere in the fair and democratic or otherwise lives of innocent people?

Well a) we have a judicial system and a 'constitution' of sorts by being signatories or human rights thingys and b) we can choose to vote people out if they are doing things we do not like! Democracy isn't the best system but it's better than most of the alternatives.

But using violence and intimidation against the political representatives and the voters, in order to influence their policies, breaks the democratic system meaning it becomes unfair. Because then you just need the most thugs to win yourself an election and become dictator.
    Well a) we have a judicial system and a 'constitution' of sorts by being signatories or human rights thingys and b) we can choose to vote people out if they are doing things we do not like! Democracy isn't the best system but it's better than most of the alternatives.

But using violence and intimidation against the political representatives and the voters, in order to influence their policies, breaks the democratic system meaning it becomes unfair. Because then you just need the most thugs to win yourself an election and become dictator.
    How about using violence against someone not to influence their policies, but because they're a cunt who had it coming? :p
    democracybombs.jpg
    Well as I said he definitely had it coming, but MR was asking me lots of questions :p lol. I feel like I'm up against paxman ;)
    Well as I said he definitely had it coming, but MR was asking me lots of questions :p lol. I feel like I'm up against paxman ;)

Paxman is old and ugly and intelligent ...I'm old handsome and fake it:D
    I'm not sure how much debate there is to be had over this; a mentally ill man throws a souvenir at the Italian PM. Unless he's professed some political difference as the reason for him slinging shit around (which, incidentally, would make him a dick) then it's a bit of tittle-tattle, but that's about it.
    Now that I've read about the extent of his injuries I'd regret my "snigger" comment - to an extent.
    hnpsr.jpg
    Lol