Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to find quotes/references?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone know how I can find the book/reference that a quote comes from?

My teacher gave us the quote, 'the creative treatment of actuality' by John Grierson but no reference and I've looked everywhere for one. I'd really like to use it in my essay but obv. need a reference

Anyone know how I can find it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sparknotes? lol

I tried looking but i can only find a web blog. :|
    I know it may sound strange but have you tried to go to a library and see if they have it?
    sorry if no help.
    x
    Haha course I have. Apparently the actual starting point is quite hard to find but its been referenced in soooooo many other article and books. Just thought it would be best to have the original one hmm
    I've had a google, pretty sure the quote could be from:

John Grierson, "First Principles of Documentary." in Grierson on Documentary, Forsyth Hardy (Ed. and Comp.), London: Faber and Faber 1966

ETA: The paper "first principles of documentary" is by Grierson and is just reprinted in this collection, so you would be getting the quote from the original source. Hope your library has it!
    Thanks FireFly. Ive come across that essay so many times but I guess as it is the original article then it matter where it is reprinted. Thanks :)
    Heya,
    Sorry. Well i hope that you have found it..... :) good luck with the essay xx
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Thanks FireFly. Ive come across that essay so many times but I guess as it is the original article then it matter where it is reprinted. Thanks :)
    Try searching google with that term in quotes, like this..

"the creative treatment of actuality"

When you do that google searches for websites with that exact phrase. Or maybe try..

"the creative treatment of actuality John Grierson"
    or "the creative treatment of actuality" John Grierson (with his name outside the quotes.
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    I've had a google, pretty sure the quote could be from:

John Grierson, "First Principles of Documentary." in Grierson on Documentary, Forsyth Hardy (Ed. and Comp.), London: Faber and Faber 1966

ETA: The paper "first principles of documentary" is by Grierson and is just reprinted in this collection, so you would be getting the quote from the original source. Hope your library has it!
    Lexi99 wrote: »

Oops, maybe I should have read through before I replied.

So you found what you were looking for?
    Oh yea ages ago, 3000 word essay finished and submited on Wednesday. Nervous aboutit as its worth 100% of the documentary theory module...
    He seems to have written it in 1933, in Cinema Quarterly 2.1

http://lmgtfy.com/?q="documentary+is+the+creative+treatment+of+actuality"+"John+Grierson"