Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Huaraui Murakami

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone read any of his books??

Ive just finished the Wind up Bird cronicle as well as Norweigen Wood and Hard Boiled wonderland and the end of the world.

I have to say I think he is an amazing writer, the way he can describe peoples inner most thoughts and mannerisms is mesmerising.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Haruki you mean ;) hes my favourite writer.

Try Kafka on the shore. Its amazing

I LOVED the wind up bird chronicle and Norwegian wood, but wasnt quite so keen on hard boiled wonderland, alhough i did get more into it towards the end. it was much more fantasy than the others wasnt it. Not so much my genre
    Kafka on the shore is my fave too, the first one I read was Dance, dance, dance which I really enjoyed as well.

He's amazing :)
    just ordered that. cheers for the recommendation
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I've only read Sputnik Sweetheart and I have to say it left little mark on me - I can barely remember what it's about. But I've heard such good things about Kafka on the Shore that I'm definitely going to check it out. :)
    i didnt think that much of sputnik sweetheart either. It was alright for a read, but its not one of his best. I felt a bit empty afterwards, like there should have been more to it.
    On such highly respected recommendations, I shall order and read 'Kafka on the Shore'. Thank you. :)
    yeh im gonna order it now too, cheers!
    I'd read Norwegian Wood, Sputnik Sweetheart and Kafka on the Shore, and while I've enjoyed Murakami's almost dream-like style, I do wonder whether some scenes are deliberately sensationalistic. I wouldn't want to give away in a spoilers because it seems like people are currently reading or at least intend to read some of his novels, but I'm talking about the erotic bordering on the taboo and the violence bordering on sadism. I feel that it contrasts so strongly with the tone and atmosphere of the rest of the novels that I personally find it a little overbearing at times, that he's trying a little too hard.
    i just finished dance dance dance

I enjoyed it, although dont think its his best.

Theres something about murakami books. Theyre so relaxing to read. I get a real slice of life feeling, like a mike leigh film, but theyre surreal and extrordianry too. The characters are so normal, and hes so descriptive