Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thesite.org book club?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone interested, I thought no one discusses books much anymore, everyone loves to read and we could have a bi-monthly/tri-monthly book club read? eg we all collectively decide on a book, read it and discuss it? I love reading but never get to discuss some of the books I read as no one else does,

I'd rather not do it online with people I do not know and thought it could be interesting to do here

I am thinking over a longer period of time as some people do take longer to get through books but then you could discuss like chapters 1-5 in the first few weeks and do it that way..

Just an idea..

Interested people?

Hellfire
grace
skakitty
notanotherusername!
AThiefAWhoreAndALiar
.Leanne.
MrG
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good plan Batman.
    I'd like that.
    grace wrote: »
    Good plan Batman.
    I'd like that.

Woot, I am not the only one although I was thinking we could do like polls and nominate books so the majority decide what to read, otherwise it might be a bit unfair.
    ooooh me me!!! I LOVE reading books, but when it comes to discussing them afterwards, i always forget the author/title etc LOL so this'll be perfect!
    Maybe.

If you do the books I'm reading for uni I may consider it, but since I have to read the Ulysses I doubt you'd be interested ;).

Maybe when I'm done with uni, I'll join in.
    Franki wrote: »
    Maybe.

If you do the books I'm reading for uni I may consider it, but since I have to read the Ulysses I doubt you'd be interested ;).

Maybe when I'm done with uni, I'll join in.

The books would be upto those taking part in it.
    Sounds good! *cough* Charles Dickens *cough* as i have to read it :D
    I reckon i'd be up for it :)
    Oh, could be good.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    The books would be upto those taking part in it.
    Ok.

I also have to read Wuthering Heights and Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and some Virginia Woolf (To The Lighthouse) as well as wonderful other stuff.

Really, I think I'll stay out of it til after uni. I don't want to torture anybody ;).
    its one of those things that sounds a great idea, and has been attempted to get off the ground several times, but never really does
    Sounds good! *cough* Charles Dickens *cough* as i have to read it :D

ahh i have just finished a module on charles dickens. i can now say that oliver twist is the worst one so far. great expectations was my favourite.

i like the idea of this book club but am doing the same course as franki. if it overlaps or i can sneak in a book then hells yes :)
    ahh i have just finished a module on charles dickens. i can now say that oliver twist is the worst one so far. great expectations was my favourite.

I have to read that one next, i hope its better than hard times - not exactly what i call a page turner. But its alright.

ohh and if we do get this off the ground Alice in wonderland and through the looking glass would be helpful ones (for me :p) to read. :D;)
    I have to read that one next, i hope its better than hard times - not exactly what i call a page turner. But its alright.

ohh and if we do get this off the ground Alice in wonderland and through the looking glass would be helpful ones (for me :p) to read. :D;)

oh god, currently in the middle of an essay on hard times. trying to warble on about how mr bounderby is like a machiiiiiine and failing. almost done though
    I LOVED HARD TIMES HUSH YOUR FACES ;o.

It's better than that bloody Middlemarch. Bloody Middlemarch.

P.S. Rach - Mr Bounderby is not like a machine, he is like a COMPLETE DICKWAD.
    when you back franki? shervello is instigating a big giant christmas meal for thurs evening! yeah mr bounderby sucks but i have more to say on characters i hate.
    Id actually quite like to do something like this, though I feel that my method of reading books would probly bugger me up. I say I read at least a book or two a month, but it takes me about 1.5 months to read a book, I always seem to have different ones on the go at once :(
    when you back franki? shervello is instigating a big giant christmas meal for thurs evening! yeah mr bounderby sucks but i have more to say on characters i hate.
    I thought she said Wednesday? Either way yes, I will be there. I have open shifts on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday so I'm back on Monday.

MAKE SURE SHE RECORDS X FACTOR FOR ME.

/derailing.
    Franki wrote: »
    I LOVED HARD TIMES HUSH YOUR FACES ;o.

soz wifey but the first six chapters have not impressed me :D
    Thanks for the SCC, yes it "may" not work but I am going to try it anyway
    I can see co-ordinating it would be a PITA, but otherwise I'd be up for it. As long as it wasn't chick-lit every month.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I can see co-ordinating it would be a PITA, but otherwise I'd be up for it. As long as it wasn't chick-lit every month.

so...your not up for Angus, thongs and full frontal snogging then?
    I'd be up for trying again :thumb:
    woot,
    I like pretty much any book, not sooo keen on historical fiction but if it;s got a good plot i'll give it a go :D

My fav books are forensic crime and fantasy humour (just read Christopher Moore- amazingly funny!)
    skakitty wrote: »
    I like pretty much any book, not sooo keen on historical fiction but if it;s got a good plot i'll give it a go :D

My fav books are forensic crime and fantasy humour (just read Christopher Moore- amazingly funny!)

Kathy Reichs FTW? :D
    ^^ hells yea!!

Ooooh i just found the book i loved as a kid- 'This place has no atmosphere' by Paula Danziger. So good :D
    I will start a nomination thread after Christmas, (so people can get some Xmas book ideas)
    Count me in!:thumb:
    I've just been given 'Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters' by Ben H. Winters for Christmas, so i'll let you know how it is :D
    I will hopefully be joining the book club from overseas next months! *squeeeeee*
    ooooh! count me in! i love reading and this sounds like fun!

like most books really, except for comics :)