Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Health checks and the police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi i have been googling all morn and come across this site.
I passed application and interview in oct, to become a pcso in essex police.
They dont do medical's but do ask you to fill in the medical questionnaire.
I did so, but have a history off eating disorder, on my g.p notes i see someone 4 years ago and then see someone voluntary 2 years ago. They asked for the reports regarding this, i read them first and i was upset to see my g.p send the whole report with tons off personal things not relevant really.
Anyway i have a letter today to go see the medical nurse regarding my medical report. This is fine but im still seeing a lady voluntary once a week just to talk to and im sure they will ask and i will tell them. Im worried this will stop me geting in, if anyone has any feed back on this i would appriciate it. Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    hiya hun!

i have been a pcso for 3 months now so i got in :) hope you do! the job is great!

i wouldn't get yourself too worked up about your medical history. i lost so much sleep over it and shouldn't have done! like you, i had a history of an eating disorder on my record. i also had a history of panic attacks, anxiety and depression.

i can't tell you whether or not your medical history will be a problem or not as 1. it depends what your medical nurse is like and how nice they are! 2. how long your eating disorder lasted and how severe it was (the doctor i saw at the medical told me this) 3. your mental health now and 4. how long ago it all was. i don't know whether or not the fact your are still seeing somebody now will be a problem.

all i can advise is to do what i did. take a letter with you from your doctor. are you well now? if so, i'd get your doctor to write a letter stating that you are. i got my doctor to write a letter stating that i had not been receiving any treatment/medication and i had been mentally well for x amount of time. the doctor at my medical seemed happy enough with this and took it.

good luck hun. let us know how you get on :)
  • Options
    thanks for replying.
    My g.p sent in a letter also saying i had not had to visit the surgery regarding this in the last 4 years, anyone that i have gone to see since has been voluntary and free. So i hope this doesnt go against me. When i had help it was just an hour a week talking with someone.My hubby is a police officer but still like you say it depends on who you get and on the day. I will try my best :)
    I will keep you posted thansk again!!
  • Options
    hayley77 wrote: »
    thanks for replying.
    My g.p sent in a letter also saying i had not had to visit the surgery regarding this in the last 4 years, anyone that i have gone to see since has been voluntary and free. So i hope this doesnt go against me. When i had help it was just an hour a week talking with someone.My hubby is a police officer but still like you say it depends on who you get and on the day. I will try my best :)
    I will keep you posted thansk again!!

Well i had to go to see the essex police job doctor yesterday, he said he woould say im fit to work as i am, but said he cant say if they will take me now or not. Reason being that i have suffered from post natel depression 9 years ago and a past eating disorder. It will be down to the recruitment team if they take me on as i may be a risk :0
    So its out my hands now
  • Options
    sorry, have only just seen this.

how come its being sent to the recruitment team? it should be the doctor/occupational health department that decide whether or not you are healthy enough to work as a pcso.

well, i hope you get through ok. good luck :)