Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pattern Adjustment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, leading off from the other thread. I've found and bought a hat pattern i like, but to knit it on circular needles i know i'll probably need to make some changes to the pattern. But i don't know what, i have the guage which i will do later on and post back with what i have

Here's a pic of the hat so you know what i'm on about

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should be able to get that done on straight needles.

The thing to remember is that when you're knitting in the round, every row is right side, but when you're knitting flat, you alternate between right side and wrong side. So the way to switch a circ pattern to flat is to follow the pattern for every odd row, and reverse (i.e. knit the purls and purl the knits) it for every even row.

It'd probably help to write the revised pattern out in full before you start. I know if it were me I'd get confused otherwise!
    I knew you'd have an answer :heart:

Ok, one more question (i think), if i do it on straight needles, does that mean i HAVE to stitch it together at the end?
    Yes :p

Oh, and I forgot something - don't think it'll matter too much for your pattern, but you also have to reverse the ORDER of the even rows, cause when you knit in the round, it's like a spiral, always bringing you back to the first stitch of a row, but when you knit back and forth, you knit from the first stitch to the last, then from the last back to the first, and on and on :)
    Oh this is proving to be a horrible task :( and i still have to finish my scarf!

And as for the order, i was looking at the pattern last night and was thinking how i'd start a row with an increase (im sure theres a way but im still at the very novice-ish stage)

Thank you my pretty x
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Amira wrote: »
    Oh this is proving to be a horrible task :( and i still have to finish my scarf!

And as for the order, i was looking at the pattern last night and was thinking how i'd start a row with an increase (im sure theres a way but im still at the very novice-ish stage)

Thank you my pretty x

I wouldn't start the row with an increase. Personally I would k1 first and *then* do the increase. Otherwise you may have a fairly dodgy edge in which to sew afterwards.
    thank you, you both have been very helpful. Now here goes the tedious task of writing out the "new" pattern. Wish me luck