Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is America ready to watch the Brothers movie about war hostages in Afganistan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
This movie looks really intense especially for Americans, I don't know if America is quite ready yet to watch movies about war hostages in Afganistan..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why not? The more people are aware of what's going on in the real world, the better it is for everyone. We have to know what's going on in the world in order to regulate the power of our government. Plus, this is a movie and you really can't take it's depiction as an absolute truth. It looks interesting; I've been waiting a long time for it to come out. Hopefully it will be good.
    I'm not sure most Americans know where Afghanistan is on a map.

Also consider that 95% of the people who will go and see the film will be people who already know about the hostage crises in Afghanistan. It's not like a load of pro-war nuts are going to go along and have their opinions completely changed by it.

This film will change absolutely nothing. Just as Bowling for Columbine changed nothing about gun control laws, An Inconvenient Truth changed nothing about global warming and Starship Troopers changed nothing about inter-stellar warfare. A strip of celluloid is not going to make a difference.

Also consider that 95% of the people who will go and see the film will be people who already know about the hostage crises in Afghanistan. It's not like a load of pro-war nuts are going to go along and have their opinions completely changed by it.

This film will change absolutely nothing. Just as Bowling for Columbine changed nothing about gun control laws, An Inconvenient Truth changed nothing about global warming and Starship Troopers changed nothing about inter-stellar warfare. A strip of celluloid is not going to make a difference.

We don't know where Afghanistan is? What gave you that impression?

Epic win and true story.
    We don't know where Afghanistan is? What gave you that impression?

HAHAHA, really?

Seriously, I'm sorry to say, but a lot of Americans these days are embarasments to the greatness that may have preceded them. A fair few of my heroes are American (Carl Sagan, George Carlin etc etc) but the general American Polulous is really, quite ignorant. I'm talking the majority of them, not the minority I feel very sorry for and support.

You need to sort out the social issues in your country, If it's not the crazy fundie christians it's the madass and unwarentedly arrogant patriots. Then the failsafe ignorant tourists who must defile local custom. In Europe, we have an innate respect for culture within our societies. In America, It's restricted to sub-groups labeled "intellectuals" etc.

It's nothing against Americans, It's about a large number American people, and the attitude and ignorance it portarays on a world stage. It's not a generalisation, because I adknowledge there are a lot of very intelligent, rational Americans. But you do have a huge portion of your populous to work against. There are also some vast economic disparities in your country that are simply unapologetic - sort them out.

The problem is, your country is in controled by fools. There are fools in every country, but we in the UK and most other countries do our best to appear civil and largely diplomatic. It is largely the defacto and said measure that Americans (internationally) portray themselves as "We rule the world, obey". It doesn't work, and that's why you're so unpopular - and you don't rule the fucking world.
    I continually wonder why such crass racism doesn't result in a ban... Still I suppose it provides proof that all countries, not just the US, have ignorant thickos...
    Oh my lord i have seen the original Danish version of this (it is based off that version) and I am sure jake glgyghgyghgj can ham it up enough to ruin the emotion.

Is america ready for it? well.. was afganistan ready when america turned up and bombed the living fuck out of them?

Its only a movie, and movies never changed the world however much they try :)