Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Support for British vets?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm an American and have been following the efforts closely of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) in raising support and awareness of our troops returning home. There have been instances you may have heard of, of troops returning depressed and PTSD'd and not receiving proper care and then committing suicide or worse (our recent shootout in Texas notwithstanding).

I just felt like asking - since there appears to be a lot of Euros and Brits on the board - how are soldiers received/supported/treated when they return home? Here in the States, everyone talks of having great respect and admiration (NOT like the conflict in Vietnam), but there seems to be so little resources or awareness of the problems facing these men and women.

Looking for honest and pleasant conversation....just curious, not trying to get too political.

Thanks,
Stenzzzzzzzz

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In terms of healthcare in my opinion for UK vets it is better than America I believe (I mean no offence by this statement) however still not good enough,

Wounded servicemen and women come home patched up then dumped onto the NHS (I do not know how much you know about UK health care but this is the UK's National Health Service, basically every person in the UK receives free health care from the NHS (well mostly everyone) however it can be a long wait and sometimes the hospitals can not cope with the type of injuries (physical)

the PTSD and Depression side of it is slightly different, I believe soldiers will and can get counciling and help on the NHS but again it involves waiting lists, as far as I know this is not good enough,

When a soldier first comes home he should have full imediate medical care if required and full access to mental health care if required, imediatelly.

I may be totally off on these points but this is my interpritations of it.
    I believe it's improved a lot in the current conflicts. But as with a lot of things surrounding the military, there's a ridiculous amount of bullshit rhetoric and empty words.
    Thanks for the feedback. I am a little more than disconcerted about what I see. I expect politicians to feign respect and compassion but do nothing significant to help (as terrible as that admission sounds), but I expected more from the everyday Joe six-packs in the U.S.

PS. what do they call a "six-pack" in Britain?
    Stenzmann wrote: »
    PS. what do they call a "six-pack" in Britain?

A six pack.....
    A four pack, because we have bigger cans.
    Haha thanks. I'm involved with the IAVA (Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America). Are there any civilian associations like that overseas? Or is all the aide government/military provided?
    Stenzmann wrote: »
    Haha thanks. I'm involved with the IAVA (Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America). Are there any civilian associations like that overseas? Or is all the aide government/military provided?

We do have civilian associations, the British Legion is a notable one. Every year they raise millions of pounds through the sale of poppies on rememberance day that goes to supporting veterans. There are other organisations but i can't remember what they're called.