Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Money vs Career

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all, its a little dilema i am going through in my head, so just need a second opinion about that. Its basically about what is really importnat, money or what exactly you do to make money or so called "Career"? To me money is more important but still find "what exactly you do to make money" very importnat.

Here is little background, i am computer science graduate, and i can get job in any good software house in my country because i have got the degree from top university here (my parents paid for that lox), but after graduation i decided to do business which has something to do with computer science or programming but not much and making 3 times more than any job i can get in the market and i am also making a software product in my spare time (since i like to do business in software one day when i make enough money from other business), and its also possible that i do that business for ever (given the rate of return i have from there). On the other hand i have a "social pressure" on me to do a good job in some company, get experience, bla bla bla... But i know i can never make that much money which i am making in my business right now.

So what is your thinking about this? What is more importnat, having your own shop in the corner of your market and making good money than any job or sitting in my 100 story building behind fancy glasses and making nothing.

I know that if i even go with the speed i am going right now i can make my own house in next 5-7 years but if i just do a job in any fancy company i may never be able to make my own house in next 20 years.

Comments

• Options
    Hi all, its a little dilema i am going through in my head, so just need a second opinion about that. Its basically about what is really importnat, money or what exactly you do to make money or so called "Career"? To me money is more important but still find "what exactly you do to make money" very importnat.

Here is little background, i am computer science graduate, and i can get job in any good software house in my country because i have got the degree from top university here (my parents paid for that lox), but after graduation i decided to do business which has something to do with computer science or programming but not much and making 3 times more than any job i can get in the market and i am also making a software product in my spare time (since i like to do business in software one day when i make enough money from other business), and its also possible that i do that business for ever (given the rate of return i have from there). On the other hand i have a "social pressure" on me to do a good job in some company, get experience, bla bla bla... But i know i can never make that much money which i am making in my business right now.

So what is your thinking about this? What is more importnat, having your own shop in the corner of your market and making good money than any job or sitting in my 100 story building behind fancy glasses and making nothing.

I know that if i even go with the speed i am going right now i can make my own house in next 5-7 years but if i just do a job in any fancy company i may never be able to make my own house in next 20 years.

it's going to sound like a cliche, but if you've got a choice and you're not bothered about the money then do what makes you happy. If you'll be happier running your own shop, then do it.
  • Options
    I dont think so many people really get what i am looking for?
  • Options
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hiya,

You are not the first person to have this dilemma - it's the sort of question that comes up a lot when people are looking for career advice once they've started work.

There is no right answer - it's really a personal choice, which is why it's difficult for people to tell you what to do. It's also important that it is *your* decision; you mention social pressure but this is a decision that potentially will affect you every day for the rest of your life (!). Therefore, don't make a decision based simply because it's what other people want you to do.

It depends on how entreprenual you want to be. Some people prefer the relative safety of working for someone else, whilst others enjoy the more risky, but potentially more rewarding, ability to be their own boss. There are lots of success stories, but one in three businesses fail within their first three years; so don't treat it as guaranteed income.

If you go it alone, you need to be consider that it's unlikely the business formula you currently have will keep you going for more than a few years. How comfortable are you being able to adapt and develop your skills and keep ahead of the market?

But, it doesn't have to be a one or the other choice. You could take a part-time job or do contract work for a large company, whilst spending the rest of the time working on your own projects. Or, if you think you've got a good business idea, you could get 'business-angel' funding/support (eg like Dragon's Den) that demonstrates you are serious about developing your career.

You could go and chat with some a business development agency, such as Business Link (http://www.businesslink.gov.uk) or Shell Livewire (http://www.shell-livewire.org/). These people will have dealt with many of these issues before, and may be able to help you make a decision.

Olly
  • Options
    Thanks Olly_B.