Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Selling books - Amazon or Ebay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I have got second-hand books taking up space at home that I really want to get rid of! Is it easier/cheaper to sell them through Amazon or Ebay? I had a read through each site's information pages about fees but there was too much info for my brain right now ;)

Is it correct to say that you will pay a price to list an item on either site you go on, and then once it sells they take some more money from you? Also, the prices to sell at Ebay auction and Buy It Now are different? :confused:

The books I have are only going to be worth about £2.00 to £10.00. I'm not looking to make much on them, only a couple of pounds or break even to free up floorspace lol. I just don't want to be left out of pocket by not accounting for selling charges and p+p...

Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    amazon.
    X
  • Options
    I would say Ebay, it's not that much to list them and they don't take as much from you as Amazon once the item is sold.

I have sold some of my University books on Amazon recently and they have taken up to £5 from me if something has sold for say £20. And you can only charge £2.75 so when a book costs £5 to post you miss out, whereas with Ebay you can state how much postage will be.
  • Options
    I sell all my books on Half (part of ebay) depending on the book you get a pretty good price, or at least you get rid of them. They do take part of your sales but they also reimburse you for the shipping.

I looked and I can't find a half with a UK address but I havn't looked to see what they have on the .com for the UK. I'd imagine there is some... ?
  • Options
    i don't mean to hijack your thread, but i'm thinking about selling roughly 100 copies of new scientist magazine; and the internet seems the easiest way to me as well.
  • Options
    Amazon for sure.
  • Options
    I've got some really old copies of New Scientist that my old man gave me, wonder if they're worth anything. One article goes on about a new technological advance that at the time was a scientificated possibilty that seems remarkably like what the internet is now- I like that article.
  • Options
    Amazon is cheaper than all others.I buy from Amazon re-sellers all the time. I haven't had any more (or less) problems with them than I've had with any other internet vendors.However I heard about AmazingWatcher.Com which is a free website that will “watch” items for you on Amazon and let you know when amazon has them in stock at regular retail price.:) http://www.amazingwatcher.com