Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

buying a snes console

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
and some dumb arse questions!

i think i'm gonna get a snes console for my boyfriend for christmas. he was on about the duckhunt game which he used to love. just looking on ebay and the ones that come with duckhunt and the zapper gun all seem to be the action set snes. i thought it might be risky to ebay it so does anyone know of any good retro game websites that are good? also another dumb arse question: does the snes just connect to a regular tv? would you if you had a magical cable be able to connect it to a pc or a laptop?

thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    if its duck hunt your after then you want the NES. Not the SNES
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oh crap, i did mean nes :blush:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    According to wikipedia the NES only had an RF connector, except some models that also had RCA. Both can be used with a modern TV, but if you want to connect it to a computer it would need a TV card (for the RF connection) or a video input card (for the RCA connection).
    Judging from how my SNES was, if you go for the RCA option (which is very superior, but I dunno how much differecne it will make for a "simple" console) you'll probably have to find a fitting cable, which must be even more difficult than finding the NES itself.

I thought Duck Hunt was available on the Wii's virtual console, but it's not...
    Couple of things - ebay really should be fine for buying something like this, there aren't many second hand websites around bexcause so many people use ebay for retro purchasing.

Even some of the bigger CEX stores focus more on this gen and last gen consoles rather than full on retro consoles.

And... the light gun won't work with an LCD screen - only with an old school TV. However any local recycling centre or junkyard should have plenty of old-style TV's pilled as high as the ceiling for free. (If you don't have one).
    thanks you two :) have just got my brother to order me it from ebay (my account is all mucked up and paypal frustrates me soo much). im pretty sure my boyfriend's tv is old but if not i'll try pick him one up from freecycle, just means that i'll have to be cruel and he may not be able to play it on xmas day mwaha :thumb:
    Is RCA the set of 3 cables, 1 white, 1 yellow and 1 red?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Is RCA the set of 3 cables, 1 white, 1 yellow and 1 red?

yep
    Weekender Offender 
    Cool, thanks Skive. I only asked because I (therefore) have a USB-to-RCA with SCART add-on which allows me to play VHS videos on a video recorder thru the computer screen. This definitely worked on me. Also, I asked because it means that I can hook up a SNES to my PC, which is what this topic is all about. Although Indrid mentioned a link-up thru a TV card, I will be doing it using my USB-to-RCA.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Cool, thanks Skive. I only asked because I (therefore) have a USB-to-RCA with SCART add-on which allows me to play VHS videos on a video recorder thru the computer screen. This definitely worked on me. Also, I asked because it means that I can hook up a SNES to my PC, which is what this topic is all about. Although Indrid mentioned a link-up thru a TV card, I will be doing it using my USB-to-RCA.
    That's basically an external video input card, so what I originally said still stands :p