Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Banks win appeal on illegal bank charges case

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Come back Klintock, all is forgiven! :crazyeyes

Yeah, man. At least Kilntock had opinions. This guy's got, well.... I don't know what. Vague non-opinions which allude to nothing useful?
    I got it, was plain and simple but still, bring back Klintock, he was hot.
    katralla wrote: »
    I got it, was plain and simple but still, bring back Klintock, he was hot.

In a chivalrous,and subjective, attempt to appeal to your vanity, I hereby declare you hot in areas of understanding. :flirt:
    I've been hit with bank charges reaching their hundreds once mounted up. Two were caused by the bank themselves. Anyone with Halifax who gets those £1.50 "card charges" will know how much they add up over time. I've had two, £35 overdrawn fees because I've made a payment and they have taken that £1.50 charge and made me overdrawn, once was even by 50p, the other only £1. I asked for them to be revoked, they weren't. So I paid those charges when I didn't need to. It weren't my fault. The third charge however was, but only because of human error (Which the fine I didn't pay. Fuck that, I paid it twice. Their reasoning for removing it after I made my point clear was "We'll let you off this time" - when they have to remove them if I ask AFAIK). Even for £2 overdrawn a £35 charge isn't justified.

Fines don't pay. If someone is willingly dodging their bill, adding more money to the collection wont make them chuck up money faster, it may sooner or later make them start payments but not always. Likewise for people who can't afford the bill no longer (for any reason). Adding charges wont make money magically appear. If someone genuinely can't pay the bill, don't increase it and demand more each week, month etc. It's only creating your company more debt of unpaid fines appearing magically out of nowhere.
    the idea of charging if someone goes over their arranged limits is fair, the amounts are extortionately scary, if someone is on JSA a £30 charge is 2/3 of a weeks benefit :s

why they can't just have an extortionate interest rate per day confounds me? or just a charge of £5 per increase + regular overdraft interest which noone can complain about reasonably

the cheek of suggsting they'd charge current account fees if they got found against by the court is hilarious as most current accounts have approximately 0.01% interest on balances and they invest the money that people have in them so don't need to charge cause they're techically borrowing from us
    Aladdin berated me a few years ago when I defended bank charges. I claimed it was perfectly justified people should be punished when they breached the terms and conditions of their bank accounts, although I offered no defence of the actual level of the charges the banks made. I thought at the time they were too high and that banks did themselves no favours in refusing to reveal how they got these figures. Perhaps now that the reputation of the banks is at its lowest in history, they might finally get some of that trust back by telling us this information?

Was that a bale of hay that just went past?
    I must be missing something obvious, but if you've got an arranged overdraft all you pay is the interest.
    Maybe if you're constantly being hit with charges for going into the overdraft it's time to extend said overdraft?
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I must be missing something obvious, but if you've got an arranged overdraft all you pay is the interest.
    Maybe if you're constantly being hit with charges for going into the overdraft it's time to extend said overdraft?
    Often they will say no to your request to extend the overdraft. Clearly, more money is to be made by charging fines to people in hardship.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Often they will say no to your request to extend the overdraft. Clearly, more money is to be made by charging fines to people in hardship.
    I once went in to say "look, obviously my overdraft isn't enough, can you extend it please?" and the woman was really apologetic and said that she couldn't extend it until you were within your overdraft limit when you wouldn't need the extra anyway. Even she thought it was stupid.