Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Died.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A girl from my school died last week from taking ketamine, and I did know her. Everyone at school has been really down about it, but one of my friends was really close to her and he is really upset. I really don't know what to say to him, and how to help him?

Sorry, didn't know where to post this.
Xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey

sorry to hear this, that is really sad. A boy in my year died when we started sixth form and everyone was pretty down for a while. Something that helped was putting loads of photos of him up on display (which made it feel like he was still around for a while) and putting out a charity box so people could give money to charity and pick up a black bracelet to remind them of him. i think there was also a tribute band playing one evening in his memory. perhaps something like one of those ideas would help you and your friends..?
    Also if it helps, you could write down how you feel from day to day or maybe write some poems. I wrote a poem when the boy died and it helped me gather my thoughts a bit.
    hope you're ok
    You sure she died from ketamine?

AFAIK there is no LD-50 for Ketamine though I could be wrong.
    Was that the death mentioned in the Daily Fail yesterday? If so she took mephedrone as well. Very unhealthy drug, that.
    Hi Broken-Angel,

Really sorry to hear about the girl at your school, it's such a shock when something like that happens. But it sounds as though you're being incredibly supportive to your friend - it's really important to be there for each other and help each other through it during times like this and to be able to talk through your feelings with someone close to you.

Grief can different for everyone but as Nutter said before, it really helps to try and remember the person who's gone so one of those ideas could be a good start to try and come to terms with what's happened.

It might be helpful for you to have a look at this article on dealing with death, especially the section at the end on how to help a friend who's lost someone. The website RD4U offers support for young people affected by death and their online leaflet has lots of ways that you can help someone come to terms with their loss.

Hope you're all OK and please feel free to post again.

Take care,

Cat x
    We were told at school it was ketamine, but I don't know. I didn't know her very well, but a lot of my friends did which is quite hard.
    I'm moving schools again, and I don't want everyone to feel like I'm leaving them so I just want to make sure my friends are alright before I go.
    Xx
    Yerascrote wrote: »

LD50 for ketmine is 77-400mg/kg

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ketamine/ketamine_faq.shtml
    Yerascrote wrote: »

There is one, although it is reasonably high. By inhaling it you would normally pass out before you took too much, although obviously that has all the usual risks of passing out.

When mixed with downers ketamine has a depressant effect (which it doesn't on its own) so you can push yourself down too far that way too.
    Faustus wrote: »

Which is a lot, it basically means grammes not mg. But of course some people will be pushed too far before it gets to that point.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    with an ld50 of 400mg/kg it would take over 20g for it to be fatal for even a very light adult.
    The reason why ketamine is so good as an anesthetic is becuase its not a depressant.. Thats why the paramedics carry it, becuae it can be given without worry of complications.
    Weekender Offender